7222 vs 7266

M Joel W

• Site Sponsor

7266 tends to be more contrast with less grain and it is usually run as Reversal so a positive and has less latitude.

7222 has more latitude (it is a negative stock) with more grain but if it is run in F76 the grain can be really nice. Also takes to a push +1 or +2 well in F76 developer.

• Like 1

Thanks, Robert. I want a lot of texture/grain, to feel that the image is composed of grain without losing tonality and having it feel thin. 7266 I worry might have that look?

I want something similar to Death to the Tin Man, Bait, Following, etc.

• Site Sponsor
2 hours ago, M Joel W said:

Thanks, Robert. I want a lot of texture/grain, to feel that the image is composed of grain without losing tonality and having it feel thin. 7266 I worry might have that look?

I want something similar to Death to the Tin Man, Bait, Following, etc.

If 7266 is shot properly is is not particularly grainy it has a smooth look imo and it is only when underexposed and pushed that it builds up allot of grain. If you overexpose Tri-X it gets thin and ghostly looking as there is not allot of latitude but I do like that look personally for some things.

7222 has more latitude to work with and takes well to being pushed we just did a really nice spot for Beats by Dre which was almost all 35mm 5222 pushed +1 and +2 and it has great subtle texture and was shot with hard light with allot of contrast and dark areas.

• Like 1

• Site Sponsor
12 hours ago, M Joel W said:

Can you develop 7222 in caffenol? Based on your description 7222 sounds like the better stock for me to use regardless. Thanks.

Yes you can, I think any B&W Stock can be developed that way.

It will likely yield a grainier look than what we do as a lab in a linear processor with F76 developer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robert Houllahan said:

Yes you can, I think any B&W Stock can be developed that way.

It will likely yield a grainier look than what we do as a lab in a linear processor with F76 developer.

Crazy question maybe, but could I pay a lab to develop in caffenol? I want the home made look without all the effort. (Or actually I'm just afraid I'd screw it up.)

Also – as well as the added grain, there's a feeling of more macro-contrast, almost like applying unsharp mask in photoshop? Or is that an illusion?

• Site Sponsor
1 hour ago, M Joel W said:

Crazy question maybe, but could I pay a lab to develop in caffenol? I want the home made look without all the effort. (Or actually I'm just afraid I'd screw it up.)

Also – as well as the added grain, there's a feeling of more macro-contrast, almost like applying unsharp mask in photoshop? Or is that an illusion?

Hahaha no you cannot pay a lab to develop in caffenol and it would not work anyway the time in developer in a linear processor will be far far too fast for that.

• Like 1