Fuji processing

• Site Sponsor

We run it (it is getting rarer and rarer) but the Rem-jet tends to stick.

Fuji is ECN2 it is not a different process but for some reason the Rem-Jet backing tends to stick on Fuji stocks now especially down on the tighter end of the wind i.e. end of the roll.

Any lab running ECN2 can run it but the results will vary, we ran a 100ft roll of F250 about three weeks ago which was fine.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
27 minutes ago, Robert Houllahan said:

Fuji is ECN2 it is not a different process

Supposedly, they used a different solution during the rem jet removal phase. I was talking to a former Fuji tech few years ago when I had issues with my 64D stock and he gave me the details, but I didn't write them down. It was at an event and I thought I'd remember. He said the process was still doable today, but it would require a different chemical than the standard Kodak ECN2 process. 

But yes, you're 100% right, it's usually at the tail of the rolls. 

I sold all 40 rolls of 16mm and 20 35mm rolls because every roll I shot, was messed up. I think it's because the rolls were frozen. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks for the replies. Good to understand why this is no longer an option in a lot of labs. Cinelab (UK I should add, not US) had this to say which tallies with Tyler and Robert mentioned: 

"Regretfully we are no longer able to process Fuji film.  Although Fuji ceased manufacturing of motion picture film negatives in 2013, there has continued to be an availability through some distribution channels and private stock holdings.  Whilst storing film at low temperatures can sustain its photographic sensitivity and viability for many years, we have found most recently an increasingly unfortunate problem with the removal of the remjet backing at the first stage of the developing process with Fuji stock.  This results in contamination of the processing baths at the developing and successive stages. The consequences of this are not only a sub-standard and possibly unusable result with the Fuji film being processed, but the possibility of contamination adversely affecting subsequent film being processed. Whilst we have continued to try to support filmmakers choosing to use any film, we have had to make the decision now to stop processing Fuji stock."

Good news is they recommended DeJonghe in the Netherlands who still process it, so for anyone in Europe looking, this seems like the best bet - https://www.postproduction.be/homepage

Good to know Cinelab in the US also offer it Robert - thanks for that. 

• Site Sponsor

Fuji may have recommended a different pre-bath formula but I can guarantee that no lab every mixed that.

We used to have a deal selling Fuji stock I think we sold 400ft 16mm with process and a transfer for $120... sold allot of it... those were the days of sub $100 400ft 16mm rolls....

I have never personally liked the idea of freezing film to keep it and I definitely think that contributed to rolls of Fuji having backing removal issues. We did have 100ft come through recently and it had no problem.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Robert Houllahan said:

Fuji may have recommended a different pre-bath formula but I can guarantee that no lab every mixed that.

We used to have a deal selling Fuji stock I think we sold 400ft 16mm with process and a transfer for $120... sold allot of it... those were the days of sub $100 400ft 16mm rolls....

I have never personally liked the idea of freezing film to keep it and I definitely think that contributed to rolls of Fuji having backing removal issues. We did have 100ft come through recently and it had no problem.

Interesting - this was in the fridge but never frozen, so hoping that works in its favour. Something quite cool and sad in shooting some of the last ever Fuji stock.

Back in 2013 I bought about 12 x 400ft Fuji (Eterna 64D, 250D, Vivid 250D, 400T). During the years I stored all of it in the freezer and took out of freezer only when I was about to shoot something. I really haven't seen any issues. I'll probably shoot the last roll, 64D, this summer.

2 hours ago, Tyler Purcell said:

Ya probably won't see the issue unless you're looking for it. A locked down shot with excellent exposure and a wide highlight range, will for sure show it. Looks like speckles amongst the grain. 

Sure, I can see those. And as you say, one has to look for it, it isn't really distracting at all in my opinion. But then again, if you are going to shoot 400T after having kept that in the freezer for 7-9 years, your expectations must not be that high to begin with ? which is exactly why I don't pixel.. err... grain peep my Fuji scans.

If I want something pristine (and have the budget for that), fresh film it is.