Where to put focus marks during a long handheld move?

Hello all,

I am focus pulling in a one take music live session. We can do multiple takes.

We are going to be shooting wide open on a 25mm DZO vespid prime lens at t2.2 (will close down accordingly if we end up needing a deeper stop for focus). Sensor is 35mm (canon c300mk3).

The subject is stationary but the camera starts off wide and tracks forward to a close up. The move will be entirely handheld. I will be using a remote follow focus (nucleus m).

I know that for a Dolly move, many focus pullers use the bolt in the middle of one of the front wheels as a reference point to place incremental marks on the floor either based off the lens markings or just 1ft incremental marks. 

In my case, as it is handheld on an easyrig…should I be using the operators feet as a reference to place floor marks?

I was originally thinking I could ask the operator to put a bit of camera tape on both shoes in line with the floor marks so that I could use that as a reference? (Ie, when the tape on either foot aligns with my floor mark, I know to hit my mark).

or should I just simply try to eye the floor marks so that its in line with the sensor plane throughout the move? 

any ideas greatly appreciated. Thanks!

• Premium Member

Hi! I would simply measure from your subject (the singer?) and place strips of tape on the floor. Make them small if the camera is going to see them on the wide. As the camera’s sensor plane passes over your marks you set the focus accordingly. I recommend taping a thin line of brightly colored tape on the camera so you can see the sensor plane on the camera. Also, don’t place too many marks. You’ll get confused. Maybe go from 10 feet, 5 feet and 2 feet if you’re that close in the end. You can choose what distances make sense to you. Anything beyond 10 feet, you’ll have the DOF to help you out on a 25mm lens. Feel the rhythm of the camera move and turn that knob!! ?

KEEP IT SIMPLE!!!

G

• Like 1

3 hours ago, imran qureshi said:

Hello all,

I am focus pulling in a one take music live session. We can do multiple takes.

We are going to be shooting wide open on a 25mm DZO vespid prime lens at t2.2 (will close down accordingly if we end up needing a deeper stop for focus). Sensor is 35mm (canon c300mk3).

The subject is stationary but the camera starts off wide and tracks forward to a close up. The move will be entirely handheld. I will be using a remote follow focus (nucleus m).

I know that for a Dolly move, many focus pullers use the bolt in the middle of one of the front wheels as a reference point to place incremental marks on the floor either based off the lens markings or just 1ft incremental marks. 

In my case, as it is handheld on an easyrig…should I be using the operators feet as a reference to place floor marks?

I was originally thinking I could ask the operator to put a bit of camera tape on both shoes in line with the floor marks so that I could use that as a reference? (Ie, when the tape on either foot aligns with my floor mark, I know to hit my mark).

or should I just simply try to eye the floor marks so that its in line with the sensor plane throughout the move? 

any ideas greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Just wanted to chime in to say that you’ll make no friends by asking operators to tape their shoes for you everytime you have a handheld push in- As Gregory said, keep it simple and feel it out.