new ALCS crystal sync motor for Eclair ACL

Aapo Lettinen

• Premium Member
On 3/1/2023 at 1:50 AM, aapo lettinen said:

Still for sale.  If you want to purchase this item but have any questions or want to negotiate the price (possible if you for example make a video review about the system), please let me know ?

MOTOR SOLD NOW.

If someone needs a similar motor like this, I still have possibility to assemble one or two of them in July2023 and can deliver them in August2023. After that, no more motors of this type will be made. They need to be fully paid for in early June2023 for it being possible to reserve one for you and assemble it. DM me if interested.

52678071778_0dfa2d2f7d_h.jpg

Price for the remaining two motors still possible to order for August delivery:

1000usd+shipping with the "Chinese" motor drive, 1200usd + shipping with the "German" motor drive.

As mentioned, they need to be fully paid for in the start of June for me to be able to assemble them in the Summer. The time limit for order+payment is pretty strict and it may not be possible to make anything later if missing out the June deadline so if someone is still wanting one, please DM me to discuss about details

Edited by aapo lettinen

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

It looks like that I have ONE Acl 16-speed motor kit available for sale because haven't been able to reach one of the pre orderers for 4 months.

The kit includes the motor with the better "German" motor drive, the 16-speed crystal controller and the necessary cables. Just like the kit in the images above but the motor drive is of the better "German" type.

Price is 1200usd + shipping and available immediately. Contact me by DM if interested.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
On 4/6/2023 at 12:54 PM, aapo lettinen said:

It looks like that I have ONE Acl 16-speed motor kit available for sale because haven't been able to reach one of the pre orderers for 4 months.

The kit includes the motor with the better "German" motor drive, the 16-speed crystal controller and the necessary cables. Just like the kit in the images above but the motor drive is of the better "German" type.

Price is 1200usd + shipping and available immediately. Contact me by DM if interested.

Still for sale.

The price can be negotiated if the buyer makes a tutorial or review of the motor or some other material which helps promoting these motors ?

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member
On 3/20/2023 at 4:33 PM, aapo lettinen said:

If someone needs a similar motor like this, I still have possibility to assemble one or two of them in July2023 and can deliver them in August2023. After that, no more motors of this type will be made. They need to be fully paid for in early June2023 for it being possible to reserve one for you and assemble it. DM me if interested.

52678071778_0dfa2d2f7d_h.jpg

Price for the remaining two motors still possible to order for August delivery:

1000usd+shipping with the "Chinese" motor drive, 1200usd + shipping with the "German" motor drive.

As mentioned, they need to be fully paid for in the start of June for me to be able to assemble them in the Summer. The time limit for order+payment is pretty strict and it may not be possible to make anything later if missing out the June deadline so if someone is still wanting one, please DM me to discuss about details

The deadline for final orders of this motor type is June 25, 2023 and I will need the payment for them before June 30.

After that, no motors of this type are possible to order and I will concentrate on other more urgent projects (there is about 10 other projects waiting), in which case I will just store the remaining two unfinished motors as spare parts in the garage and forget about them. I may still be able to build another type of motor for your ACL sometime later  if needed, but it will be of very different model, have less features and is much more expensive (costing from 1500 to 2000usd) than this one because this type of equipment is not economical to build one by one and making a series of only one or two drives the costs up unnecessarily and should be avoided (the reason why I wanted to make a large-ish batch of these and sell the whole batch at once to be able to build and sell them for cheaper).

• 5 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

the one 16-speed motor kit I had in storage is SOLD now and there was no additional orders for the 16-speed motors before the deadline. Can say safely now that the 16-speed version can be discontinued, will store the remaining materials as spare parts and I will continue with other projects from now ?

A total of five kits was made with the external crystal control box (the "Main" version) of which I kept one for myself, and I made one built-in version which was built into the camera base. So a total of 6 new motors made for the ACL during the project. I was originally planning on making 8 but six is not bad at all and I'm happy that they worked so well in the end.

----------

So the 16-speed crystal control motor is discontinued now and I will only make repairs and spares if needed, no new motor kits are sold.

-------

But it is possible for me to make simpler 12-speed rotary selector displayless controllers for the ACL with exactly similar motor unit than the 16-speed system used, only the control box is different with just a simple speed selector for 12 crystal speeds and likely has a variable non-crystal speed knob too.

It depends on the batch size how much per kit they would cost but likely from 850 to 900 usd + shipping. If there is any interest in these, I can make a batch later this year (likely somewhere between October and December) .

Let me know by DM if you would like to order a 12-speed kit like this. They need to be paid for about 2 months before starting building them so that the exact price per unit can be worked out (knowing the exact batch size).

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member
On 6/26/2023 at 4:53 PM, aapo lettinen said:

So the 16-speed crystal control motor is discontinued now and I will only make repairs and spares if needed, no new motor kits are sold.

-------

But it is possible for me to make simpler 12-speed rotary selector displayless controllers for the ACL with exactly similar motor unit than the 16-speed system used, only the control box is different with just a simple speed selector for 12 crystal speeds and likely has a variable non-crystal speed knob too.

It depends on the batch size how much per kit they would cost but likely from 850 to 900 usd + shipping. If there is any interest in these, I can make a batch later this year (likely somewhere between October and December) .

Let me know by DM if you would like to order a 12-speed kit like this. They need to be paid for about 2 months before starting building them so that the exact price per unit can be worked out (knowing the exact batch size).

More info about the 12-speed kit now.

- I will make and sell the motor units way before the crystal controller batch is assembled. This is to collect enough money to make the actual controllers. If no motor units are sold, then I know it is useless to build large amount of crystal controllers either and it is not practical to continue the project.

- Cost of the motor unit itself is 450usd + shipping. This needs to be ordered and paid for before 15th September if you want the motor unit with the better "German" motor drive and at normal price.  The motor drives can be delivered in October depending on when I get the payment for them and can start building.

- it is possible that I would have two or three motor units available later with the slightly lower quality "Chinese" motor drive. So if someone orders late (between September 16 and end of October) it might still be possible to get a motor unit for your camera with the lower quality motor drive, but the PRICE IS HIGHER, 500usd + shipping and it is slightly lower quality than the "German drive" ordered in time would had been.  I really want to direct my working model to pre-sales based system because having had countless issues with investing thousands on expensive parts and then having stuff sitting on shelf creating huge losses, so I don't want to stock the "German" drives unless they are actually sold and paid for beforehand.

- if China attacks Taiwan, then it might not be possible to finish the project at all. That is because I get most of the smaller circuit board bases and front panels made there and it may not be possible to get them at reasonable price from Europe and the cost of the motor kit would skyrocket which would make it too expensive to buy

- the cost of the 12-speed controller itself is 400usd + shipping and they are possible to deliver in November if getting the motor units sold in time to collect enough funds for assembling the controllers

- It is possible to order a controller with different type of selector and more crystal speeds. the price is higher, from 500 to 650usd depending on the features needed.

- no displays on these controller models

- both the 12-speed controller and the possible more advanced controller have slighly better high-speed stability than the original 16-speed crystal controller had. So over 50fps framerates will be more stable than on the original 16-speed one had

- normal framerate upper limit on these controllers is about 80fps but if you want, I can set it closer to 100fps. This high framerate can damage the camera so use at your own risk, but just wanted to mention that it is possible for reasonable additional fee.

SO the total price if ordered in time would be 850usd + all the shipping costs for the 12-speed rotary selector ACL motor kit, and from 950 to 1050usd + all the shipping costs if wanting a more advanced crystal controller with lots more speed presets.

Deadline for ordering at normal price and with "German" motor: 15th September, need to pay for the motor unit and its shipping (450usd + shipping).

Might have two motor units with lower quality "Chinese" drive available later but the price is higher, 500usd + shipping.

• Upvote 1

• Premium Member

standard crystal framerates for the 12-speed crystal controller (these can be customized for an additional fee) :

8.00 fps

12.00 fps

16.00 fps

20.00 fps

23.976 fps

24.00 fps

25.00 fps

30.00 fps

33.333 fps

48.00 fps

50.00 fps

64.00 fps

the variable non-crystal speed is planned to go from about 6 fps to about 80 fps in the normal version of the 12-speed controller. This can be customized for an additional fee to go up to about 100fps if needed (not guaranteed to be safe for the camera body but the motor itself is capable for this)

I should have some kind of version of the front panel of the controller this month (August) and can post photos of it when the design is finished

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

This is the front panel of the new 12-speed Eclair ACL crystal controller.

53116877739_56a3a48364_b.jpg

Like said it connects to the same motor unit than the previous 16-speed model and is of same size than the 16-speed controller is (check youtube and this thread for info about the 16-speed controller model).

This 12-speed controller is 850 usd + shipping with the motor unit and cables if ordered before 15th September and the motor unit (450usd of the total price) is paid then and can be delivered separately as early as October if needed, or can wait for the crystal controllers to be assembled and shipped all together if wanting to save on shipping costs .

I don't guarantee motor units being available later on if missing the September15 deadline so be sure to order at least the motor unit in September if wanting to purchase the system!

There will likely be a more advanced controller available with different type of selector which allows selecting most useful crystal speeds between 5fps and 80fps. It has similar variable speed knob too like the 12-speed controller has. The motor kit with this more advanced controller costs 1050usd + shipping if it becomes available. Pictures of this advanced controller are available sometime in September, I have a prototype already but don't want to publish more details before it is thoroughtly tested.

Let me know before 15th September if wanting to order either one of the kits. If you have ordered and paid the motor unit by then, it is possible to wait a little with the decision of which controller type you would want to have with it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
On 8/15/2023 at 12:12 AM, aapo lettinen said:

This is the front panel of the new 12-speed Eclair ACL crystal controller.

53116877739_56a3a48364_b.jpg

Like said it connects to the same motor unit than the previous 16-speed model and is of same size than the 16-speed controller is (check youtube and this thread for info about the 16-speed controller model).

This 12-speed controller is 850 usd + shipping with the motor unit and cables if ordered before 15th September and the motor unit (450usd of the total price) is paid then and can be delivered separately as early as October if needed, or can wait for the crystal controllers to be assembled and shipped all together if wanting to save on shipping costs .

I don't guarantee motor units being available later on if missing the September15 deadline so be sure to order at least the motor unit in September if wanting to purchase the system!

There will likely be a more advanced controller available with different type of selector which allows selecting most useful crystal speeds between 5fps and 80fps. It has similar variable speed knob too like the 12-speed controller has. The motor kit with this more advanced controller costs 1050usd + shipping if it becomes available. Pictures of this advanced controller are available sometime in September, I have a prototype already but don't want to publish more details before it is thoroughtly tested.

Let me know before 15th September if wanting to order either one of the kits. If you have ordered and paid the motor unit by then, it is possible to wait a little with the decision of which controller type you would want to have with it.

There is still two weeks left to order the motor unit if wanting it with the better quality motor drive and at normal price. If ordered later than 15th September, the system costs more and has a lower quality motor and is not quaranteed to be able to be delivered at all (late orders tend to mix up all scheduling of the whole assembly line and cause delays and there may be lack of components from suppliers later this year which is why I need to order them asap to ensure availability as if they run out, it may take up to a year to get more) so I strongly encourage to order at least the motor unit in time if wanting one as those contain hard-to-obtain components with long delivery times so I would need to be able to order them as early as possible.

I have tons of other projects which require time and resources too, so I will need to know well in advance if people want to order ACL motor units this Autumn so that I can direct the resources correctly and can avoid long delays ?

Looks great aapo!

I have a question. I haven't got time at the moment to read this whole thread but wanted to ask something about specifically the Arri SR camera (not necessarily later versions of this camera such as SR2, 3).

If the motor/electronics/circuit boards on one of these one day developed problems would you or anyone else you know about be able to replace the electronic parts with something that would at least operate the camera at a very basic level, eg. 24 fps crystal sync? No need obviously for any kind of in-camera exposure metering etc.

Just interested to know what might be possible. A lot of the older SRs must be getting to the point where circuit boards could start to fail.

• Premium Member
22 minutes ago, Jon O'Brien said:

Looks great aapo!

I have a question. I haven't got time at the moment to read this whole thread but wanted to ask something about specifically the Arri SR camera (not necessarily later versions of this camera such as SR2, 3).

If the motor/electronics/circuit boards on one of these one day developed problems would you or anyone else you know about be able to replace the electronic parts with something that would at least operate the camera at a very basic level, eg. 24 fps crystal sync? No need obviously for any kind of in-camera exposure metering etc.

Just interested to know what might be possible. A lot of the older SRs must be getting to the point where circuit boards could start to fail.

With sr's it is likely that the original motor drive would need to be replaced too which makes it very difficult, time consuming and expensive to do the modification. Likely is on par with the complete replacement of aaton ltr electronics which I estimated could cost from 5k to 6k per camera with a minimum order of from 20 to 30k upwards and takes about two years to design and build the conversion kits. 

If the original motor drive could be used, then the price for sr could be something like 3.5k to 4k per camera with 12k to 15k minimum order. 

In any case, one sr camera body with working mechanics would be needed for the project which goes on top of the other costs and that camera needed to be sacrificed for tests.

So fully possible to do if throwing enough money on the project but extremely unlikely to ever happen unless some very wealthy person has dozens of sr's to modify and can pay all costs up front. In other words, almost impossible to finance the project.

These prices are for low salary design and testing with the software written free (no budget to pay for custom software developing) and only assembly itself and parts are "fairly" paid for. The rest of the job being like 2 to 4 bucks an hour for the work which is more of a passion project than paid stuff ?

• Premium Member

Still 10 days left to order the motor unit if wanting to purchase the 12-speed system for the ACL.

I looked my schedules for 2024 and it looks like there may be no time or budget to assemble more of these then, so it is likely that only one batch is made in late 2023 if there is enough orders and that's about it. Just wanted to mention because it is common for people to assume that systems like these are kept available for years to come (me designing the system this year, the first person purchasing one piece in 2025, then another customer in 2029, maybe someone asking for one in 2035...) which is not the case and not even possible to do... I am working on batch at a time basis and need to save resources for other projects too, making just the amount actually needed after they are paid for and IF there would be enough additional orders, then maybe another batch could be made sometime later (could take from 6 months to a year to arrange) but not always possible and often it is a very different product which is made on the next batch like already seen here (the 16-speed system discontinued after a single production batch was made, now collecting orders for making 12-speed ones. if there would be more orders after the 12-speed batch is completed, it is possible that the controller would be altered again or might ven be that I simply don't have time and resources to make more in reasonable time and the whole opportunity to get one would be missed then)

Edited by aapo lettinen

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Boris Belay said:

Hi Aapo, Do you have images of the complete 12-speed kit mounted on a camera ? I'm wondering about the ergonomics.

Thanks, Boris

the motor part is the same than on the 16-speed kit and the controller is exactly the same size than the 16-speed controller (it uses the same aluminium casing) so the ergonomics are pretty much the same, even the connectors and mounting points are at same places  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXvIUtmF3Oxt-8MDaWHjujVEbsXGwwlxi

the ergonomics depend on where the controller is mounted. the cable is long enough to mount it on anywhere within the camera so it should be possible to make it ergonomically good for any shooting situation.

I haven't assembled any 12-speed controllers yet because no one has ordered motor units yet and will want to wait for actual orders to be sure that it is worth it to use weeks for rewriting firmware to fit the new controller. The modules and circuit boards I do have because I am using the for other camera models too, just the interconnections between them and the software they are running are different for each camera model

• Premium Member

Five days left to order the motor unit at normal price and with the better motor drive.

one unit is already ordered so I can say for sure that the 12-speed controller will be made in November and now it is just a matter of collecting the last orders before starting to make the motor batch. Likely this is the last batch of these motors made (probably after this batch there is not enough demand for them anymore) so I highly recommend ordering at least the motor unit from this batch because it is likely that I don't stock parts for them anymore after this batch is done and making new ones could be difficult and time consuming later if even possible. Crystal controllers I can make later if needed.

Thanks Aapo, Now I can see how it looks on the camera.

A few questions : does your system accept standard 12 Volt batterties ? I see "18 to 20 Volts" inscribed on the connecting box.

How is mirror inching done ? Is there a system in the motor that brings the mirror back into shooting place ? And if not, is there an inching knob, or do you need a tool (screwdriver,...) ?

Where can you get spare connectors for the cables of your system ? I see that they are not Tuchel or Lemo connectors.

Is it possible to have the connecting box orientated differently so that the power and control cables point towards the back or the bottom for better ergonomics ?

Also, but this is a more general question, since the connecting box is just that, why did you not opt to have the control box attached to the back of the motor unit, the way the origina ACL motors were designed ? 

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Boris Belay said:

Thanks Aapo, Now I can see how it looks on the camera.

A few questions : does your system accept standard 12 Volt batterties ? I see "18 to 20 Volts" inscribed on the connecting box.

How is mirror inching done ? Is there a system in the motor that brings the mirror back into shooting place ? And if not, is there an inching knob, or do you need a tool (screwdriver,...) ?

Where can you get spare connectors for the cables of your system ? I see that they are not Tuchel or Lemo connectors.

Is it possible to have the connecting box orientated differently so that the power and control cables point towards the back or the bottom for better ergonomics ?

Also, but this is a more general question, since the connecting box is just that, why did you not opt to have the control box attached to the back of the motor unit, the way the origina ACL motors were designed ? 

it is theoretically possible to use it at 12v if running at really slow speed, I tested it with the prototype and I think it could run at something like 12 or 16fps tops. But for normal speeds you will always need at least 18 volts. Normally I use 24v battery with a chinese step down converter (costs about 3 bucks) to lower the voltage to 19 volts. Under 18 volts is not enough and over 20v causes overheating of the bldc controller so it is most practical to do this step down converter trick to run the motor instead of trying to find a battery which has natively 19v voltage.

There is no shutter parking because the brushless controllers don't allow that kind of feature. Manual inching is possible using a small slot machined at the end of the motor axle, you can use a short flathead screwdriver etc. for that. I would had made an inching knob for it but there is no way to mount it to the plain axle end which is inside the bearing so the only possibility was this slot + screwdriver approach. this is pretty much the only motor type possible to use on this system so there will be no inching knob ever unless everything (literally, everything) in the system is redesigned and remade using different components, writing new software etc. and making the system cost at least 1600 to 2000 usd a piece. So the inching system is due to the requirement of making the system affordable enough to be purchased... I can make better ones but will be too expensive for the ACL owners to buy I think...

the connectors are very easy to get from eBay and most electronics stores. I will include spare power connectors in the shipment and could add extra ones if needed. they cost like 1 or 2 bucks a piece on eBay so one can easily buy as many as needed. I decided to intentionally use very afforable connectors so that users can make their own cables easily and not needing to spend hundreds of bucks on Lemo connectors.

The weird upwards orientation of connectors is due to my handheld tests indicating that the connectors would be easier to manage on that orientation when shooting handheld. would be possible to put them on back but I don't recommend it as it creates more stress to the connectors and makes the 4-pin cable management more difficult.

The main reasons why the control box is separate are because it is cheaper to make that way (not being so cramped space to install the electronics in, can thus use easier to solder parts which make them faster to assemble meaning cheaper to build) , because it is better protected that way (dust not getting inside because the venting holes are not needed as the heat generating bldc controller is not in the same package) , to make the motor unit smaller (better to operate handheld easier to ship the camera when the controller part can be stored separately), to get the control unit to better operating position where you can actually see the controls when operating both handheld and on tripod, to be able to use ergonomically better selectors and switches (everything on the motor unit needs to be very streamlined so that they don't catch clothing and break up. thus protruding knobs etc. are not possible to use on the motor unit), and to reduce stress on the motor mounting system and screws (the motor unit's mounting system is attached to the camera with the 4 tiny original screws of the ACL motor. these screws are pretty soft and weak and can break if enough stress is added to them). A built-in controller makes the box on the motor unit much larger and especially longer which works like a lever when the operator handles the camera and it is much easier to cause too much stress to the mounting system or at least knock it out of alignment if the motor box is large.

so lots of reasons why the controller is external... it is both better to operate in practical shooting situations and more durable and it is cheaper as well, still easier to use.

I could integrate certain crystal controllers to the motor unit making it only slightly larger but it would lack features (being only signle speed or two speeds) and still be more expensive than this separate controller system.

it is not possible to make 12v motors even if raising the price as there is no suitable 12v brushless motor drives available.

One could use a step up converter of some kind though if it is absolutely mandatory to use 12v batteries, that way it would be possible to boost them to 19v to operate correctly with the camera

• Premium Member

Final day to order the 12-speed system's motor unit at a normal price.

it is likely that I could have one or two motor units available with Chinese motors even if ordering late, but can't guarantee it and they would cost more than if ordering the better "German" motor version in time and it depends on if I'll have leftover mechanical parts available after assembling the paid for motors. Typically I don't stock "German" motors and thus if ordering late there is no time to machine them which is why I needed to have strict deadline on the motor unit orders.

So still possible to order the motor unit with the "German" motor drive if ordering today.

• Premium Member
On 9/15/2023 at 9:43 AM, aapo lettinen said:

Final day to order the 12-speed system's motor unit at a normal price.

it is likely that I could have one or two motor units available with Chinese motors even if ordering late, but can't guarantee it and they would cost more than if ordering the better "German" motor version in time and it depends on if I'll have leftover mechanical parts available after assembling the paid for motors. Typically I don't stock "German" motors and thus if ordering late there is no time to machine them which is why I needed to have strict deadline on the motor unit orders.

So still possible to order the motor unit with the "German" motor drive if ordering today.

Ordering closed now for the Eclair ACL motor units.

the October batch progresses now with 2 motor units made with "German" motors. After they are finished, I will continue finishing the crystal controllers.

I need to machine the inching slot on the axle of each motor drive and it is relatively common to have machining errors ruining a motor drive. Thus I always have one or two spare motor drives in case the machining goes wrong on the first try, either ruining the axle or the bearing or both.

If it happens that I would have extra motor drives available after the machining is done, it could be still possible to get a motor unit for your camera. It is not guaranteed to have anything available and they may be either "German" motor drives or the "Chinese" ones, and they would be more expensive than the pre-ordered ones.

Just let me know if urgently needing a motor and missed the deadline and I will try to figure out something ?

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
On 9/16/2023 at 2:25 PM, aapo lettinen said:

Ordering closed now for the Eclair ACL motor units.

the October batch progresses now with 2 motor units made with "German" motors. After they are finished, I will continue finishing the crystal controllers.

I need to machine the inching slot on the axle of each motor drive and it is relatively common to have machining errors ruining a motor drive. Thus I always have one or two spare motor drives in case the machining goes wrong on the first try, either ruining the axle or the bearing or both.

If it happens that I would have extra motor drives available after the machining is done, it could be still possible to get a motor unit for your camera. It is not guaranteed to have anything available and they may be either "German" motor drives or the "Chinese" ones, and they would be more expensive than the pre-ordered ones.

Just let me know if urgently needing a motor and missed the deadline and I will try to figure out something ?

It looks like I will have exactly ONE extra 12-speed kit available in late November. The rest of the motors are either already sold or are otherwise reserved.

The total batch size is 5 pieces of these 12-speed kits, after which I will discontinue the ACL motor v1.0 motor unit and the controller line.

I am planning on making some other kind of motor for the ACL next year if getting enough funding for the project. Will redesign stuff and use different parts for it. It will be more expensive as well if it is possible to make and will take long to finish. Just wanted to mention that there is this delay of at least half a year, maybe more during which nothing is available for the ACL

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
On 10/13/2023 at 1:02 AM, aapo lettinen said:

It looks like I will have exactly ONE extra 12-speed kit available in late November. The rest of the motors are either already sold or are otherwise reserved.

The total batch size is 5 pieces of these 12-speed kits, after which I will discontinue the ACL motor v1.0 motor unit and the controller line.

I am planning on making some other kind of motor for the ACL next year if getting enough funding for the project. Will redesign stuff and use different parts for it. It will be more expensive as well if it is possible to make and will take long to finish. Just wanted to mention that there is this delay of at least half a year, maybe more during which nothing is available for the ACL

All motor units and 12-speed controllers are completed, sold and already sent to customers. The 12-speed ACL project is now officially completed and the controller discontinued. Not possible to order them anymore.

If some of the owners of the 16-speed controller want to order only the 12-speed controller for their kit for using with their existing motor unit, that can be arranged with long lead time ( from 4 to 8 months) as I still have controller parts, just not much time to assemble right now.

But I won't make more of these Model 1A motor units anymore so if there is still someone needing a complete kit (motor unit + controller) for the ACL, they have to wait for the next generation crystal motor models which can take a long time to finish. Maybe this year, maybe next year... depends on how much I have spare time and resources for the R&D work.

Will post some videos of the completed 12-speed controller later on ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

A quick update about the existing 16-speed and 12-speed systems:

I got motor rotors custom made with dual axles and made simple inching knobs for them, so that the users of the existing 16-speed and 12-speed motors can update their systems with a manual inching knob and don't need to use a screwdriver to manually inch the camera.

So the long-awaited manual inching knob is now finally added to the ACL motor system. Relatively afforable update which pretty much completes the system ?

Will have some kind of new motor for the ACL later on, probably in Autumn2024. Will let you know how it progresses when getting the first tests completed and the specs figured out

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
I am making couple of 2-speed crystal motors for entirely different camera model but the motor drive itself and the mounting parts are the same than on my Eclair ACL motors to save resources, only difference is that the 2-speed motor mounts on the camera right side like on most film cameras whereas the Eclair ACL has motor on the left (aka operator) side of the camera.
Would anyone want to buy a 2-speed motor like this for the ACL, I can make two or three of the motors MIRRORED so that they can be mounted on the camera left side if people want them for ACL but I need to know really soon if they are needed?
The time window is pretty limited, about 2 weeks from now. They need to be ordered and paid for before February10 if wanting one. Otherwise I will just make all the motors in the batch for camera right side use so that they would be painful to use with the ACL for needing to mount them upside down with the controls underside and all the text upside down ?
Price is 850usd a piece + shipping. The motor has integrated electronics (no external box, just everything in one package which is larger than my original ACL motor drive), it has either 24+48fps crystal OR 25+50fps crystal (need to be ordered with either one combination, not possible to change afterwards! I can change it just before shipping so you don't need to decide it yet) and "wild" variable speed. Manual inching knob.
Works with 18 to 20V just like my other ACL motors.
I can have the motors themselves shipping in March but the axle adapters may take some time to manufacture, if they are not ready in March I will send them afterwards in April.