Manual for Bauer S 715 XL Microcomputer

Tanner Almon

Hi everyone. I am a long time reader, first time poster.

Anyway, I finally made my move to Super 8 and in the mail this afternoon I received my Bauer S 715 XL Microcomputer!!! Unfortunately the manual is in German. Unfortunately I need one that is in English. Does anyone know where I can acquire the English manual for this camera?

I have a roll of Kodachrome I'm dying to shoot but I don't want to shoot anything until I read the manual.

Any help would be apperciated.

Best,

Tanner

LONG LIVE SUPER 8!

Edited by Tanner Almon

I believe that filmshooting.com has or had the Bauer S715XL manual online; their ftp server is down for the season so the manuals may not be available. I have a hard copy (n-th generation xerox) of the English manual for mine.

Bauers are nice cameras when they are whole. But they have lots of precision plastic parts that can break with age and replacement parts are $$ expensive - it's cheaper to buy a broken camera off eBay as a parts source. Michael Nyberg's Super 8 Man site has a nice writeup on the camera. I find the camera to be a bit bulky for comfortable handheld shooting, but the image is very sharp with its Angenieux 6-90mm zoom lens. Late model Bauers only read ASA 40/160 with their automatic light metering system, but you can use an external lightmeter and manually adjust the iris.

Thanks Robert.

I did try filmshooting.com and unfortunately was unable to download the manual. If I am unable to find an English version in the next week or so, would you mind making me a copy of your manual (assuming it is still readable). I would definitely be willing to pay.

Until then, can you just let me know if it is safe to run the camera when there is no film in it. I just would like to make sure that it actually does run.

Best,

Tanner

Edited by Tanner Almon

Guest Alexander Anthony
Hi everyone. I am a long time reader, first time poster.

Anyway, I finally made my move to Super 8 and in the mail this afternoon I received my Bauer S 715 XL Microcomputer!!! Unfortunately the manual is in German. Unfortunately I need one that is in English. Does anyone know where I can acquire the English manual for this camera?

I have a roll of Kodachrome I'm dying to shoot but I don't want to shoot anything until I read the manual.

Any help would be apperciated.

Best,

Tanner

LONG LIVE SUPER 8!

Tanner, dude, I'm getting a Bauer 715 too. Did you get it from the super 8 camera shop?

I want to hear your impressions of the camera and if possible, please post some footage if you can.

I'm also interested in any other user impressions of the Bauer camera. Thanks.

Hey Alexander,

That's sweet you picked up a 715 as well. Welcome to my world!

Anyway, I just recieved the camera in the mail today. I actually purchased it on eBay about a month ago from a seller in Germany. He said that it had been fully serviced recently so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Unfortunately I am waiting to get an English Manual and read it through before I turn on my camera. I spent a decent amount of money on it and definitely do not want to screw anything up. That being said, the camera is a thing of beauty. The lens of course is the best part, the zoom is so sweet! In addition to the lens, the camera seems to be really well put together all around. All of the buttons feel tight and in place. I'm really excited to put it to use.

So yeah, anyway, if I come across any English Manuals I'll let you know. I did email two places today, one in the U.S., that supposedly have them. If I hear anything I'll let you know.

So anyway, good luck to you man! If anyone else on this forum owns the Bauer S 715 XL and has any tips any advice would be much appreciated.

Have a nice day!

tanner

Edited by Tanner Almon

Hi, once had a 715xl, image was very stable , thought it was an excellent camera, i sold it very cheap but thats another story. Stock up on k40 and get used to using manual exposure, i understand that the 715xl cannot read the new 64t stock. Unless someone know different?.

You could try oldtimer cameras for a manual, not sure how much they charge though.

http://www.oldtimercameras.com/

Andy

The S715XL should do fine with the new E64T stock in daylight assuming you use an external 85B filter. E64T is a Super8 cutdown of the old Kodak Professional EPY film, designed for furniture photography, I've heard. On the Kodak Professional Products page for Ektachrome EPY, the film shows exposure characteristics of ASA 64 under Tungsten light and ASA 40 under Daylight with an 85B filter.

Here is a zip file of my Bauer manual. Feel free to download:

http://www2.bitstream.net/~audadvnc/bauer_...9xl_english.zip

Edited by Robert Hughes

A big war horse of a camera with a terrific lens. The one I used to own gave superior results to the Canons I had used just prior based on examination of the footage. Sold it to a pretty busy dp and have seen several lifestyle and travel shows now on TV where the camera was used. Second only to my Leicina Special for image stability.

Its ashame bauer opted not to have a variable shutter for the fade and disolve facilities on the 715xl.

Just read that manual which was posted, appears that the camera can only read 40 and 160 stock, therefore 64T will be overexposed when using auto exposure with the 715xl.

Wow!

Thanks for all responses!

Robert: Thank you so much for the manual. I really, really appreciate it.

PW and K25: Thanks for the resources to places that may have the manual. I actually did email both of them on Friday to make sure that they carried English versions of the manual. Fortunately Robert saved the day and I no longer have to purchase one.

Anyway, I'm not too worried about the Bauer 715 not being able to recognize 64t. My plan all along has been to work with manual exposures, I think I'll learn a lot more that way. Automatic would be sweet for run and gun documentary type stuff, however, there is way in hell I can afford to shoot run and gun right now.

Finally, does anyone use the Sekonic L-28c for manual exposure readings? If so, have the results been pretty decent?

That's pretty much it I guess. Thanks for your help guys.

• 12 years later...

Hi all, I wonder if anybody who took part at this forum saved a copy of the PDF manual of Bauer 715XL and can share. I tried with the link of Robert Huges, but doesn't work, it was posted too many years ago. I recently bought the camera on eBay, it's in perfect conditions but doesn't work.Maybe there's something wrong I do and reading the manual I can find a solution. The former owner said it worked. Thanks everybody, Have a nice weekend, Alfredo Betro'

Hi all, I wonder if anybody who took part at this forum saved a copy of the PDF manual of Bauer 715XL and can share. I tried with the link of Robert Huges, but doesn't work, it was posted too many years ago. I recently bought the camera on eBay, it's in perfect conditions but doesn't work.Maybe there's something wrong I do and reading the manual I can find a solution. The former owner said it worked. Thanks everybody, Have a nice weekend, Alfredo Betro'

As posted on the other thread, http://super8exchange.com/camera_instructions.php?file=NzA5LnBkZg==QTPXZDWSHI

What is not working? It doesn't start, expose, transport film or what?

Batteries OK, powered zoom working?

Hi Samuel, Hi Andries, I had already tried to open the link, but there's no manual. I guess the link expired(was posten in October 2005) and something took its place. If somebody saved a pdf copy of the manual on his computer maybe can post it again. Thanks for your attention, you are very kind.

Hi Samuel, Hi Andries, I had already tried to open the link, but there's no manual. I guess the link expired(was posten in October 2005) and something took its place. If somebody saved a pdf copy of the manual on his computer maybe can post it again. Thanks for your attention, you are very kind.

Hi! It still works for me. Send me your email and I will email you the manual.

I wonder if somebody can warn Super8 exchange that trying to open their website another website takes over, a hotel chain website. I guess it doesn't happen to everybody. I tried from Roma, Italy.

No problems here either. Perhaps you have some spyware on your machine.