Atlanta - S3, E9 shot on actual B&W film?

• Premium Member

Anyone know if the latest season's episode "Rich Wigga, Poor Wiigga" was shot on B&W film?  If not, then they added some really subtle dust and other defects, which would hardly seem worth the bother, given how subtle it was.

Duncan

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

I have not seen the series let alone the episode but have watched the trailer (only So hardly a good way to judge) to it and it screams digital to me.....the tonality is not film......to my eyes...the closest camera to film are the RED cameras to my eyes...

Edited by Stephen Perera

Checked it out again in the highest quality one can find (Disney+) and it seems to clearly be another film out just like they did with S2E10 (FUBU). Though on that FUBU episode, they'd used the Amira in Super 16 mode and then had done a 16mm film out, so the texture was much more present, as well as Christian Sprenger (the DP back then) usually shooting at 1280 or 1600 to get more texture.

Here, they clearly didn't use the Super 16 mode and it's a 35mm filmout, and it feels like they shot it cleaner from the start too. Looks pretty great, obviously quite different from what shooting on film would look like.

Edited by Manu Delpech