A modernised version of the ICA Kinamo, the smallest 35mm cinema camera ever made

Karim D. Ghantous

The camera goes back to the 1920s, but someone has built a modernised version with these specs:

Super 35, 18x24mm,
4 perf movement,
Olympus OM mount
180 deg shutter (constant)
8, 16, 18, 24, 25, 32 fps
12-24V power
Wireless RUN
Fischer 11-pin accessory out 12-24 V
Fischer RS-3pin for RUN

https://www.instagram.com/p/CfzK1EDK0y0/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

• Like 1

• Premium Member
19 minutes ago, Karim D. Ghantous said:

The camera goes back to the 1920s, but someone has built a modernised version with these specs:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CfzK1EDK0y0/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

That someone is Daniil Nevskii. He is converting my Arriflex 2C to 2perf and PL mount  at the moment. He's a bit of a camera wizard.

• Premium Member

I love the Kinamo, wrote a post about it way back:

Unfortunately many of the links are broken now, including all the photos I took of the mechanism inside while I overhauled it.

Here’s a link to the wonderful little film Joris Ivens shot with one back in 1929, which I always think is a great example of what you can do with motion pictures with the most basic of tools:

I love that Daniil has made a modern version, hope it gets past prototype.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Mr. Nevskii is not right with the Sept by FACT-Debrie. That is a true cinematic camera. It even has a pair of register pins in the same position as a Mitchell has. The Sept has a conical two-blades shutter and a lens bayonet. It takes five meters of film, enough for a 15 seconds shot.

13 hours ago, Simon Wyss said:

Mr. Nevskii is not right with the Sept by FACT-Debrie. That is a true cinematic camera. It even has a pair of register pins in the same position as a Mitchell has. The Sept has a conical two-blades shutter and a lens bayonet. It takes five meters of film, enough for a 15 seconds shot.

15 seconds is simply a stills camera with a really fast motor drive. That's not a cinema camera IMHO. Even Super 8 at 24fps gives you over two minutes!

• Upvote 1