Adobe Premiere Pro...WTF?

Is it me, or is APPro the most difficult and non-intuitive program ever written? I've used lots of other software, so I'm very familiar with the non-linear setup.

I'm having a hell of a time learning to use the program, and the help files aren't much use. Is there a guide or tutorial online I can access to help with the learning curve?

Is there a guide or tutorial online I can access to help with the learning curve?

Have you tried the Adobe site? They have a reference library and forums you can access for free after registering an email address that I found helpful with AfterEffects.

Premiere, like any other app, is going to feel non-intuitive if you're used to competitor's products who use a different kind of logic (and I use that term loosely) in their interface design. I had the same experience you're having when moving from Premiere to Avid and FCP. I thought: why can't other companies make intuitive interfaces like Adobe's?

I agree. I have been using premiere since 4.2 days. I have 6.5 now and my station has a pro 1.5 after using the 1.5 pro i never want to use it again. Its not inuitive and it seems a bit flakey. I had lots of troubles with slowdowns/crashes when I was using it, and the computer is usually rock solid.

I cannot stress how happy I have been with Premiere Pro. I started with 6.0 a few years ago and from there upgraded to Pro 1.0. There were a few wierd glitches here and there, nothing too bad, but when I upgraded to 1.5 it seemed as though all those bugs went away. Mine is fast, accurate and has served me well. I got it bundled with Canopus DVStorm2Pro+ and it's solid. Sorry to hear you're having a hard time with it.

I have P Pro and love it. I recomend the Video collection. Check www.adobe.com. Where P pro really shines is the way it has been intergrated into the rest of their software. Once you get used to the lay out and logic you will have no problems. The learning curve is steep only at the begining. Once you have mastered P Pro you move into After Effects and there the possibilities are almost limitless. There are many books and training DVD's available.

• Premium Member

Every editing program has its quirks. Every editing program crashes from time to time. The trick is to know the program and computer/hardware well enough to fix problems when they arise. I've edited on Final Cut Pro most every day for four years. I know it well, and I can edit quite efficiently with it. I have also used Vegas and Premiere Pro and am learning Avid Media Composer. They're all the same. One program might have a better color corrector or audio editing capability or so on, but when all the cards are on the table they're the same. The best advice I can give you is to learn from someone who knows the program well and who is a fast editor. That's how I learned FCP. There are also many editing books, but few are very good at teaching efficiency with the programs. I cannot recommend any Premiere books as I have not read any. But just stick with it. And in my opinion FCP is the most intuitive editing program in using the workspace, in setup, and in troubleshooting. I find Avid to be the least. But that's just me.