Buying new rope

Greg Chamberlain

Where do you guys get your ropes from?

I'm hoping for something more multipurpose, something I can use for wind lines, something I can use for rigging. I inherited rope when I purchased my grip equipment used, so I don't know what kind it actually is. Was hoping some other experts would have an answer on what to get to replace it. Someone told me to go with static rope, but I can't tie tight knots with that stuff, I worry it'll come undone. Maybe it breaks in over time and becomes more loose? I ordered some samples from Rope.com... static rope, chalk line, etc... I like their 3/8ths Double Braid rope, easy to tie tight clove hitches and bowlines. It also has a high breaking strength at 6,500lbs. When I took it outside and wrapped it around a tree and I pulled against it, it did have some stretch, but not a ton. I think it'd be okay, but I'd like some other options. 

Any other suggestions and suppliers are welcome! I want to make sure whatever I get will last and will work for what I'm using it for. If it comes in purple, that's a plus! Thats the color I use to mark all of my tools and equipment. 

Thanks!

-Greg

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

For most of my gripping needs I use 3/8” White Diamond Multiline from New England Rope Company. Comes on a 600’ spool.  Some fancier grip crews use the black line, but I usually don’t have cause to justify the added expense. 

Works well for general rigging,  hanging softboxes, tying off frames, guy lines, etc. 

Tristan

https://www.hollywoodexpendables.com/product/multi-line-black-38x600/