ALCS Single-Speed Crystal Controller for CP16R

Aapo Lettinen

• Premium Member

It is already possible to order tachometer boards and power distribution boards if someone wants to start the conversion already and get the most time consuming parts of the conversion started early on.

The main board and the back panel will be available in couple of weeks when getting the main board finished and the light sealing foam has arrived.

• Upvote 1

• Premium Member

I got the circuit board bases for the footage counter add-on boards now. Should have time to finish the software in September/early October 2022 if anyone is interested in ordering them ?  The new counter board mounts on the place of the camera's original buzzer and is easy to install afterwards if needed.

I am pretty sure that this new add-on internal footage counter board could be made compatible with the original CP16R electronics too but will test it sometime later if having a chance ?

• Premium Member

The separately sold external controller has selectable crystal speed from 5fps to 50fps in 1 fps increments except the 23fps is rounded to 23.976fps, the 29fps is rounded to 29.976fps and the 33fps is rounded to 33.333fps. 

So it has all the most used Crystal Sync speeds including the 24.00 and 25.00 among many others.

Non-crystal variable speed is included too. The controller is compatible with the CP16R 1-speed upgrade and costs 220usd + shipping. It is available in October/November2022 and if wanting to purchase one, please let me know early on so that I can make large enough batch size to be able to assemble them in reasonable time without going over budget (which would make them more expensive).

• Premium Member

it is probable that some kind of internal 4-speed add-on board will be developed later this year which can be installed to the camera body so that the body would then have a total of five internal crystal speeds and still possible to input external speeds from the 6-pin connector.

The 4-speed add-on board would replace one of the cover panels on the camera with a new panel with rotary switch selector and would likely cost from 230 to 250usd + shipping.

The same rotary selector replaces the functions of the original INT / EXT selector on the back panel so that the original back panel switch hole can be either capped or used for another switch (for example additional start-stop switch)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

The first kits are shipping in about two weeks. I am just fine tuning the crystal sync algorithm by testing it with two different camera bodies and different battery voltages to get the best stability at the 24/25fps range and will assemble the main circuit boards when the software is finished.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

52399586982_0b9a9c67ae_h.jpg

52400531060_ec7b4b4a26_h.jpg

These are the first two completely finished back panel kits with the final main control circuit boards, connectors and light seal installed. Will ship these in Tuesday ?

I will make another batch in the end of October. Anyone willing to order one, send me a DM or comment here ?

the single speed crystal control kit has a new Tachometer Board, a new Power Distribution Board and this new Back Panel with the new Main Circuit Board.  Price is 400usd + shipping for the whole kit, or 700usd+shipping for two kits.

One can order tachometer boards and power distribution boards separately without purchasing the whole kit. The back panel and the main circuit board are always sold together and not available separately (though can be ordered without the tachometer or the power distribution board if you don't need them for some reason)

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Here are the internal speed presets of the v1.0 version and how to select them using the onboard DIP switch.

52404299773_6441a31a56_h.jpg

The main board is installed on the backside of the back panel and can be accessed if camera's side cover (battery side cover) is opened. Typically one sets this internal speed once during the installation of the control system and always shoots with the same setting, but it can be changed anytime if the camera is just powered down, the side cover opened and the DIP switch combination changed.

Please note the that the settings are specific to the mechanical drive gear the camera has installed (24fps or 25fps).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Premium Member

I will make a batch of 5 installation kits in the end of this month (October 2022) and if needed, I have a possibility to make another batch of from 5 to 10 kits in December 2022, depending on how well the October batch sells. After that it is uncertain if any more batches can be made.

These kits need to be assembled in batch sizes of at least five pieces at a time for it being financially possible to make them (building just one or two is not possible, even the first test batch was 4 pieces). For this reason I expect that after the possible December 2022 batch it would only be possible to make a new batch once a year tops in the best case (so that the next batch would be December 2023 earliest).  

For this reason I encourage ordering the installation kit this year if wanting to have one (either in October or in November 2022) to ensure getting it in reasonable time and not needing to wait a year for the next batch to be made.

Just wanted to mention this because these low volume products work very differently than "normal products" in how they can be made in the first place which hugely affects the availability.

• Premium Member

As I mentioned before, it is possible to purchase tachometer boards and power distribution boards separately if just needing a tachometer board for a project, or if accidentally breaking one and needing a replacement board.

If the back panel gets scratched or broken and need to be replaced, it is possible to get those as well  (but I need the broken panel back or evidence that it has been destroyed because I don't want leftover panels circulating on eBay etc. later on). Back panels are only sold to the owners of the 1-speed system and on the condition that the old panel is destroyed or shipped back.

It is possible to purchase new main boards to the 1-speed system as well if one happens to accidentally burn one for some reason. The main boards are only sold to the owners of the 1-speed system and I will always need the old board back before shipping the new one (to prevent non-working boards circulating uncontrollably) .

Prices for replacement parts:

Tachometer board : 70usd + shipping (can be ordered separately even without owning the 1-speed system)

Power distribution board: 60usd + shipping (can be ordered separately even without owning the 1-speed system)

Back panel + light seal + connectors installed:  100usd + shipping (only for 1-speed kit owners, need proof that the old panel is destroyed)

New main board:  200usd + shipping (only for 1-speed kit owners, need the old board back before shipping the new one)

New light seal for the back panel cut to dimensions, can be user installed:  20usd + shipping (can be ordered separately even without owning the 1-speed system)

Edited by aapo lettinen

• Premium Member
On 10/5/2022 at 11:49 PM, aapo lettinen said:

I will make a batch of 5 installation kits in the end of this month (October 2022) and if needed, I have a possibility to make another batch of from 5 to 10 kits in December 2022, depending on how well the October batch sells. After that it is uncertain if any more batches can be made.

waiting for some connectors and other parts to arrive so the first batch will be around 15th November. Ordering already possible now.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
On 10/19/2022 at 2:57 PM, aapo lettinen said:

waiting for some connectors and other parts to arrive so the first batch will be around 15th November. Ordering already possible now.

I am very busy this month so only making two or three installation kits for now which I am finishing in about a week. Let me know asap if wanting to order one as when they run out one needs to wait till the end of December if wanting more of them.

I am assembling the circuit board of the internal footage counter add-on board at the moment. This accessory can be easily installed in the camera later if needed. It will be tested and finished in December but you can already let me know if interested in it. With small modification it could be used with the original CP16R electronics too if taking the tachometer signal  to the counter directly from the tachometer sensor wire.

The external 45-speed controller with variable speed knob and led display will be finished in December. I am investigating how to control Aaton LTR with it so it takes til the end of December before can ship them. You can already let me know if needing one. The same controller works with my CP16R 1-speed kit, my Eclair ACL 16-speed motor and most probably with the Aaton LTR too when getting it thoroughly tested.

Aapo. Is this the mage you want scanned or is the circuit diagram required? The page is A3. Some of the component valued are covered by the traces. There is a separate parts list.

CP16r MOTOR CONTROL BOARD 1974.jpg

Edited by Robert Hart
error

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, Robert Hart said:

Aapo. Is this the mage you want scanned or is the circuit diagram required? The page is A3. Some of the component valued are covered by the traces. There is a separate parts list.

CP16r MOTOR CONTROL BOARD 1974.jpg

I got some version of the circuit diagrams, they are the main thing I need especially if having them of the different versions of the camera.

The first version of the original boards has everything done without the hybrid ic's so it might be possible to make a reproduction of them if enough of them is needed. Though don't know if they fit all the camera bodies or just the very early ones

• Premium Member

I CHANGED THIS 1-SPEED CP16R CONTROLLER TO BE A SPECIAL ORDER PRODUCT because there hasn't been much interest towards it.

This means that I will only assemble them per actual orders to save time and resources to do other projects.

I have parts to make about 10 - 15 installation kits total and I pre-assembled some circuit boards to make them quicker to finish when needed. Finishing a kit takes from 2 to 3 weeks and I will usually wait to have at least two orders before starting to assemble them. So it can take from 1 to 2 months + shipping time to get a kit if you need one. I try to keep one pre-assembled kit in storage which I can ship relatively quickly but not guaranteed ?

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
On 11/16/2022 at 2:30 PM, aapo lettinen said:

I CHANGED THIS 1-SPEED CP16R CONTROLLER TO BE A SPECIAL ORDER PRODUCT because there hasn't been much interest towards it.

This means that I will only assemble them per actual orders to save time and resources to do other projects.

I have parts to make about 10 - 15 installation kits total and I pre-assembled some circuit boards to make them quicker to finish when needed. Finishing a kit takes from 2 to 3 weeks and I will usually wait to have at least two orders before starting to assemble them. So it can take from 1 to 2 months + shipping time to get a kit if you need one. I try to keep one pre-assembled kit in storage which I can ship relatively quickly but not guaranteed ?

I have a possibility to assemble 2 or 3 kits this month (December2022) if ordered before 20th December. I should have possibility to assemble similar size batch of 2 or 3 kits in January 2023 if they are ordered before January 1st.

After that it is uncertain when the next batch can be made. Possibly in August2023 or December2023 earliest.

So the availability will be very limited in 2023. Please let me know early on if needing one, even if not being able to purchase it just yet, so that I can prepare assembling them when(or if) having time for it and finish and ship the kit when the order can be paid

Edited by aapo lettinen

• 3 months later...
  • Premium Member

I can make a batch of the 1-speed CP16 crystal sync kits in the Summer if there is someone needing them.

I need to know in June2023 if anyone would need these kits and they need to be fully paid for beforehand so that I can reserve all the materials for them and the final kits will be shipped in August. Price is 400usd + shipping for a single kit and 700usd +shipping for two kits.

I have a possibility to make external 12-speed crystal generators too if someone would need more crystal speeds with the 1-speed kit. A simple 12-speed generator like this is typically a little over 200usd depending on how many similar devices will be assembled in the batch and what kind of casing it has. Same thing than with the 1-speed kit, the 12-speed generators need to be ordered in June2023 latest and fully paid for beforehand. Shipping in August like with the other gear.

It is possible to order the separate footage counter boards too. I have couple of them assembled but haven't written the firmware yet so will need to know in May2023 if you need internal footage counters for the CP16R.  They need to be fully paid for in early June so that I can ship in August so let me know early on if needing a internal footage counter board for the CP16R.

Let me know if wanting to order a 1-speed kit for your camera or any of these accessories. Will need to know in June latest and preferably contact me early on if interested in these

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member
On 4/28/2023 at 9:32 PM, Robert Houllahan said:

I have a CP-16 at Cinelab would like to update it so consider that a order.

great! I can deliver a conversion kit in July or August depending on how much other work there is in the Summer.

You will need to check the gear ratio between the motor drive and the camera mechanism, I assume the camera is with 24fps gears and I would want to double check the gear ratio so that I know the settings are correct in the software as there is no documentation of the gear ratio anywhere and the system has only been tested with 25fps gears so far. I takes 5min for me to update the software, just need the information to calculate the correct settings before shipping the main circuit board.

• Site Sponsor
On 4/30/2023 at 9:39 AM, aapo lettinen said:

great! I can deliver a conversion kit in July or August depending on how much other work there is in the Summer.

You will need to check the gear ratio between the motor drive and the camera mechanism, I assume the camera is with 24fps gears and I would want to double check the gear ratio so that I know the settings are correct in the software as there is no documentation of the gear ratio anywhere and the system has only been tested with 25fps gears so far. I takes 5min for me to update the software, just need the information to calculate the correct settings before shipping the main circuit board.

OK sounds good let me check the camera and let you know.

• 2 months later...
  • Premium Member
On 5/1/2023 at 10:18 PM, Robert Houllahan said:

OK sounds good let me check the camera and let you know.

Were you able to check the gear ratio?

I will assemble the circuit boards in late August, probably between 20. and 25. of August.

----

If someone else would like to order the 1-speed kit too, I am still accepting orders til August 10. The orders need to be paid for by August 15 so that I can ensure they stay on schedule

• Site Sponsor
5 hours ago, aapo lettinen said:

I will assemble the circuit boards in late August, probably between 20. and 25. of August.

----

If someone else would like to order the 1-speed kit too, I am still accepting orders til August 10. The orders need to be paid for by August 15 so that I can ensure they stay on schedule

Not yet let me take a look at the camera this weekend

• 4 weeks later...
  • Site Sponsor
On 7/15/2023 at 5:01 AM, aapo lettinen said:

----

This is the CP I have

IMG_7461.jpg

• Premium Member

great, should work for modification.

So I will need the belt drives teeth count and gear ratio between the motor axle and the camera drive axle so that I can calculate the correct reference frequency for 24fps with those gears in the camera.

The reference frequency needed is (framerate) x (gear ratio) x (encoder disc slot count) which is why I need to know the gear ratio to get the camera running at correct speed

cp16.png

• Like 1