Canon 814XL Electronic Questions

Adam Fox-Long

I just bought a Canon 814XL Electronic. Seller wasn’t exactly sure what it was and was unable to test, and was selling super cheap. So far I’m delightfully surprised that it seems to be in working order. Only two things seem off:

1) Footage counter isn’t advancing. No big deal, I can manage. But if there’s an easy(ish) way to fix it I would appreciate anyone letting me know!

2) I don’t see the aperture change when looking down the lens. Not sure if this means it’s busted or if that’s normal, but just want to make sure. The needle in the viewfinder moves when I turn the aperture dial in manual mode. 

This is my first time working with Super 8 so I really appreciate any insights!

• 1 month later...

The Footage Counter is activated when a cartridge is present in the camera. The cartridge presses against a button to start the footage counter.   As for not being able to see the aperture move when looking down into the lens, chances are you won't.  What you are looking at in the middle is the beam splitter prism which diverts some of the light coming in to the viewfinder system.  If the needle is moving in the viewfinder, odds are the aperture vanes are moving. To double check, use a small mirror or piece of white paper at an angle in the Film Chamber and run the camera while watching it....you'll see the light coming in getting brighter or darker as you move the camera aiming at a light source or not.....and/or manually setting the aperture, and keeping a light aimed at the lens.