Kodak Ektachrome 100D (super 8) with factory failures

Hello everybody, writing from Argentina. This weekend i'm pretending to shoot my first Ektachrome 100D super 8 cartridge on my Canon Auto Zoom 518 SV, i've been hearing that many cartridges from the last years and now days, are coming with factory failures (such as: film is getting stuck and not moving in cartridge). Wanted to know if anybody had the same problem or any issues with this type of emulsion. Heard that they used to sell like these metal plates to put on the cartridge to prevent film getting stucked but really I don't know if this problem is true and if it is, if the solution is also true. Think I read also that you can oil (with a specific liquid) the cartridge film part, so It can help that the film move correctly. Any info related to this or tips for shooting Ektachrome 100D or any emulsion, would help me a lot. Thanks

• Premium Member

The metal plates are replacement pressure plates, to help insure the film is held in place better. 

I've heard about the issues with the Ektachrome cartridges and I haven't experienced any direct issues with them. 

• Like 1

• Site Sponsor

We have not seen any higher percentage of jammed S8 cartridges for 100D than any other S8 cartridges.

We did a large order (80-90?) S8 Ekta cartridges for a NetFlix show earlier this year and they all went through the camera(s) ok.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I've shot 10 rolls within the last year.  On one roll a perf ripped right at the beginning but I think it was user error (I loaded the cartridge but didn't roll it right away and then moved the camera around a lot).  Just roll a foot right when you pop it in and you should avoid the same issue I had.  Otherwise, no issues.

• Like 1