Kodak Ektachrome 100D PART 2.

Today I finished confirming that Ektachrome 100D (Super 8 ), is not a film to shoot until at least 2 years have passed, that no one has complained that the film got stuck. After a unique weekend shooting the ektachrome, the counter on my camera (Canon Auto Zoom 518SV) tells me that the entire film had already been exposed. Excited about everything I thought I had filmed, I take out the cartridge and see that it doesn't say "exposed", as it normally should. Just then, the various comments I had read about this emulsion in particular and the flaws with which it had been coming out of the factory fell into my head. I had never given it much thought because I had also read positive comments, so the only thing left for me was to try it myself and see how it goes. After noticing this, I re-marked it with a marker and the film didn't move, I tried moving it slowly with my fingers and it didn't move, I tried moving it hard with my fingers and it didn't move either. So I came to the conclusion that more cartridges are coming out of the factory with faults than in good condition.
The first cartridge (Kodak Vision 3 50D) that I had shot, new camera, I accepted that something could go wrong because I was testing the camera (which at first glance looked in excellent condition). I also had problems (I didn't know about the care of the cartridges and made some mistakes) and the film was exposed only 1m of the 3m and cents at 18fps that should last. So I said, I'll take care of the next cartridge (Ektachrome) like gold, that's how it was, but what happened happened. What I have also read is that this camera in particular, over time the motor expands and that it is also quite weak (motor), perhaps it is one of the reasons that neither of the 2 cartridges exposed the entire film?
The question that remains for me is whether to take my camera to do a service or directly buy a fully conditioned one with a service already done, and perhaps one with a strong motor to avoid that in the future, when I dare again to try to shoot an Ekta, don't be a problem.
I don't want to make a discharge about Ektachrome, but more than anything to know what you guys think, to know your experiences and everything in general. Today I ended the day wanting to just put the camera back in its box on top of a shelf until the urge to shoot comes back.
The truth is that I started 1 year ago with super 8 and I'm not an expert, but I do know that there are some in this group, so correct me if I'm wrong about something.
Delighted to read your opinions on this, thank you very much and sorry for so much delirium.

• Premium Member

How were you trying to get the film to advance? Did you try moving the take up knob with your finger as well? 

I've shot around 12 S8 Ektachrome cartridges and 5 50D cartridges in the last year, never had any issues. 

Maybe it's the vendor your getting them from? Maybe they've just been damaged on the trip to Argentina? 

• Premium Member
44 minutes ago, Valentin Iraola said:

Yes, I also tried to move the wheel in the right direction and nothing… Really i don’t know what could of hapened

Very odd, you can also try using a small object and putting it into the peroration of the film and seeing if pulling it down moves it.