In Camera effects - Prisms, Glass...

Hello, 

I am wondering how this was done?

I believe or would like to believe that it was done in camera. I think the photographer used some sort of prism, glass in front of the lens but I am curious as to what type? I know there are kaleidoscope type of filter glass that you can play around with in front of the lens but the effect here is done a lot more subtler than that. 

Any ideas as to what sort of glass was used or what I should start to play around with to get a similar effect (maybe break my grandmothers old chandelier and see how that looks in front of the lens haha)?

Thanks!

P.S the photographer has some really good work you can check her out on IG @xenichez

294961466_2832324140247181_2379424992327853223_n.jpg

296415117_597130498610735_3243242948527356467_n.jpg

• Premium Member

This is absolutely a prism.  It could be something the photographer found, like grandma's chandelier, or it could have been something purpose built for photography.  There's a company based in Arizona called Prism Lens FX that produce a variety of interesting gadgets to throw in front of your lens.

Here's a link to their site, directly to the product most similar to the effect in these photos.  I love the handheld diopter they produce - I've used the effect for years but with standard diopters it's a pain.  They make one with a handle just like the half prism I linked to that makes manipulating the image way easier.

Edited by Dan Finlayson

Hi Dan, 

Yeah I know about Prism Lens FX but I sort of thing it’s not with they’re hand held diopter or kaleidoscope. I feel that hers are a bit more subtle in a way. 

Any other ideas or suggestions? 

ive been thinking of going to a glass shop and asking them if they can custom create glass with different thicknesses. For ex a piece of glass that’s 10x4cm and on one end the glass is 1,2mm thick and on the other end it is 5,6mm with a bit of a curvature (to have a lens effect). Something similar to the kaleidoscope effect but simpler. 

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, Boris Kalaidjiev said:

Yeah I know about Prism Lens FX but I sort of thing it’s not with they’re hand held diopter or kaleidoscope. I feel that hers are a bit more subtle in a way.

I guess keep in mind that focal length has a huge impact on how pronounced the effect is per prism.

@Kyryll Sobolev That is so overwhelming, so much glass in front haha.

@Dan Finlayson That was the other thing that I was going to say. If you have a widish lens 16, 20mm and a matte box you will need a lot bigger pieces of glass in order to cover bigger parts of the frame. So i think the chandelier spare parts might not work as well for wide lenses with matte boxes. 

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, Boris Kalaidjiev said:

So i think the chandelier spare parts might not work as well for wide lenses with matte boxes.

Agreed.  I don't see much need for a proper mattebox when doing this sort of thing though.  Worst case, tape the ND to the front of the lens.  This is also why I recommended that very large, handheld split prism - way easier to get the coverage over the frame with the wider lenses

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...