Arriiflex 16st, sb XLR power socket

Neil Morgan

Hi,

My Arriflex 16ST has already been converted to XLR power but it's 3 pin and I have a 16SB that has not been modified. I would like to convert them both to the standard 4 pin XLR but I'm struggling to find suitable parts. The switchcraft W4M looks like it will do the job but I can't find anybody that has them in stock, in the UK would be good but anywhere worldwide will do if they ship.

Reaching out to see if anybody knows of a source?

Thanks

IMG_8613D.JPG

• Tim Tyler changed the title to Arriiflex 16st, sb XLR power socket

I don't know if this applies to the Cannon parts, but on most versions of the Switchcraft XLR connectors, the inner contact block is held into the connector body with a screw, usually on the latching side.

On those connectors, if you have a connector you need to change but a backshell style you want to keep, you can simply find a generic 4 pin XLR and swap the contact block between backshells.

Don't know if this is the case with the Cannon brand parts, they are not common on this side of the pond, but it might be worth pulling it off and taking a peek underneath.

11 hours ago, Steve Switaj said:

I don't know if this applies to the Cannon parts, but on most versions of the Switchcraft XLR connectors, the inner contact block is held into the connector body with a screw, usually on the latching side.

On those connectors, if you have a connector you need to change but a backshell style you want to keep, you can simply find a generic 4 pin XLR and swap the contact block between backshells.

Don't know if this is the case with the Cannon brand parts, they are not common on this side of the pond, but it might be worth pulling it off and taking a peek underneath.

HI Steve,

Thanks for the response. Cannon are made by switchcraft, so this would be the W3M - I can work with this 3 pin but as I need to convert another camera I was hoping to make them both 4 pin by acquiring two of the four pin versions. Unfortunately I can find neither the 3 or 4 pin versions and researching further I found some older posts on this forum that suggest they're no longer made.

I can machine or 3d print a housing to accept a chassis style XLR socket but was trying to keep it small and neat like these original switchcraft/Cannon sockets.

Holy crap! I never throw anything out!

This is the second weird connector request that I've found in my stash this week! Two of them, this time.

No, I'm not a hoarder.... I'm a .... motion control guy. Yeah, that's it! There's definitely a difference. For sure.

DM me.image.jpeg.6d1b011471196225897bcdd1df7ce4bf.jpeg