ASA rating on DVX100?

Richard Vialet

Hey everyone!

I keep seeing posts where DP's mention rating their video camera at a certain ASA? Well what's the ASA rating on a DVX100 with a regular shutter at 48th-60th of a second, in 24p mode? And is there a way to change it?...(my guess is by changing the shutter speed?)

At 24P and 1/48th shutter, the sensitivity should fall somewhere between 320 and 400ASA.

For every +6dB of gain you add, you will gain one additional stop of exposure, i.e. 320 becomes 640ASA, and so forth. Of course, you get to a point where video noise becomes so prevalent it's no longer worth it. I prefer -3dB, light permitting, which is a half stop loss but a cleaner overall image (not that 0dB is that noisy anyway).

• 1 month later...
Hey everyone!

I keep seeing posts where DP's mention rating their video camera at a certain ASA? Well what's the ASA rating on a DVX100 with a regular shutter at 48th-60th of a second, in 24p mode? And is there a way to change it?...(my guess is by changing the shutter speed?)

Hey everyone!

I have been filming all my documentary projects on 16mm and Beta/ Digibeta. Eight months back i acquired a DVX 100A , also known as DVX 102 A in India. I have caliberated the camera using my Pentax spot meter and a 18% grey card , I rate the camera at 500ASA without ND , using 1/8th ND i rate it at 64 ASA and using 1/64th ND at 10 ASA. I normally use the cine like Gamma from the menu list and tweak the black level a bit . I prefer to film outdoors using the 1/8 ND along with a .3 ND round filter (72mm) fixed to the lens. Thanks best