Why hello, Miss Penelope...

Keith Mottram

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member
Hello there,

As I was browsing the LEMAC website I bumped into Penelope ! Here is the link : http://www.lemac.com.au/sales/AATON/AATONF.html

You'll find a video preview of the camera on JP Beauviala's shoulder.

It is confirmed that the cam will be 4,3 and 2 perf.

Enjoy !

Gregory

thanks for the link. got to be honest this camera is beginning to give me the horn.....

• 3 months later...
Isn't 2 perfs designed to give a 2.35 ratio ? So that you actually print 35 mm anamorphic (4 perfs) or 70 mm ?

Now I think you're dealing with frame height of 16mm film in kind of a cinemascope look. It might be economical to shoot but the quality might suffer in the end.

Guest shutter bug
Now I think you're dealing with frame height of 16mm film in kind of a cinemascope look. It might be economical to shoot but the quality might suffer in the end.

dont forget that heaps of films used to be shot this way, and they loked great.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there,

here is a link to the Xterà's leaflet (in english) : http://www.afcinema.com/IMG/pdf/Xtera-Sept-2006.pdf

I'm a bit confused because they claim Xterà to be an upgrade of Prod but I noticed some heavy changes : the Stop/test/start jog is supposed to have switched over side (by the way I can't see that in there picture)...

Regarding the Penelope (and at random) :

- the shipping seems to be delayed to late 2007 at least ;

- cinematographer Raymond Depardon is testing a beta Penelope near Grenoble ;

- Aäton still considers 4 perf as an option for special demand, not as a standard built on every camera. But it still may evolve... ;

- 2 perf workflow conclusive tests ?involving Aäton, Kodak, the french lab Eclair and a documentary project shot in the south of Spain? have been made last spring : with a 35-III modified for 2 perf ; a sound recorder Cantar ; no clapper, just AätonCode ; and AudioLink installed on the Keycode reader of the Eclair's Spirit telecine machine to resynchronize the rushes.

Thomas

The XTRprod is indeed fully upgradeable to an Xtera. The controls on the operator side do not change. The "dummy" side of the camera is radically different, with all the new electronics, videotap and dual battery mount. The front casting is new and the 11-position shutter is now standard instead of an option (the old standard was 7-position).

• Premium Member

I'm a bit confused that this thread (35 mm/penelope) is derivating on the S16/ Xtera camera...

Notice there's already a topic about it, here :

http://www.cinematography.com/forum2004/in...showtopic=17004

I apologize since I seem to be the one who started this derivation here...

• 6 months later...
  • Premium Member
Ah, they took too long to get this one out the door. Now Arri's already released their 2-perf movement for their cameras, I've lost my excitement for the Penelope. (Plus you can run 1000' mags with Arri.)

even if arri were to convert their current range to 2 perf, there is no camera in their range to compete with penelope, the 235 would be closest in weight but it is non sync. the great advantage for users as far as i can see will be in hand held/ docu style shooting and for that the penelope still seems incredibly exiting.

Where did you read that?

I saw them at the BSC show. They're already out. They even are advertising it in the British Cinematographer magazine. When I talked to the reps, they said that Arri Media and CSC were the first two getting it, so I have no clue when the LA roll-out will be; I'm guessing the London and New York branches were tapped first since they are the obvious markets where this would be ideal for first.

---

I don't know Keith; I don't see the 35 Aaton getting out that much to begin with, so I have my doubts that the Penelope will be so wildly successful on those merits alone. Plus let's face it, few documentaries shoot on 16 anymore, much less 35. If I need a lightweight camera for 35, I'd rather use a Moviecam SL or Arricam LT. Any case, I wish 2-perf in all its incarnations the most success.

Edited by Jon Kukla

• Premium Member
I saw them at the BSC show. They're already out. They even are advertising it in the British Cinematographer magazine. When I talked to the reps, they said that Arri Media and CSC were the first two getting it, so I have no clue when the LA roll-out will be; I'm guessing the London and New York branches were tapped first since they are the obvious markets where this would be ideal for first.

Do you mean that they are offering 2-perf movements for all their Arricam line, plus the Arri-435? I wonder how switchable that movement is for the rental houses like Clairmont or Otto Nemenz, or will they have to bite the bullet and permanently have some 2-perf versions the way they usually just keep 3-perf and 4-perf cameras around for rental.

Do you mean that they are offering 2-perf movements for all their Arricam line, plus the Arri-435? I wonder how switchable that movement is for the rental houses like Clairmont or Otto Nemenz, or will they have to bite the bullet and permanently have some 2-perf versions the way they usually just keep 3-perf and 4-perf cameras around for rental.

The advert only lists the Arricam ST, LT, and Arriflex 235, although I could've sworn that I heard someone there mention the 435... In any case, I've always been under the impression that all the movement blocks were very modular and relatively easy to change out - but not easy enough that you'd want to do it in the field unless you were a trained tech. Therefore, I'd have to assume that they'll make some dedicated 2-perf cameras. My guess is that Clairmont will be the first in LA to get this, since they have more direct relations with Arri, IIRC.

Modifying a camera in 2 perf doesn't seem to be a real problem.

I realy think the main purpose of the penelope is to provide a light, silent, modular (2, 3 or 4* perfs) and cheap tool.

I don't know if they're still going to price it like their 16 mm camera, but that's what JP Beauviala claimed in the beginning of the penelope's developpement-odyssey.

*On a french forum, K. La Vaullee made me notice that, on this new picture, the viewfinder is probably a PSTechnik one (historicly used for anamorphic shots) and that the mount was in PV. A clear sign to say that the 4 perf option hasn't being forgotten, isn't it ?