S 16 sensor size 4 K

Ariel Salati

• Premium Member

Hi everyone

for a coming project I'd like to use a vintage zoom  a S 16mm Angeniux 12-120mm

one of the idea is even to have  a '16mm' look and more depth of focus.

Is it any camera that would allows to use a 2 K S 16 size sensor but giving a 4 K files?

I doubt that using a 12-120 Angenieux zoom will yield the resolution you would expect of 4K, however you will get the field of view and perspectives. It is also not a Super16mm capable lens through its full zoom range and may vignette at the wide end and again around about 25mm.

However it and the later 10-150 do have a long reach. The 10-150 may vignette during close focus at the wide end on standard 16mm. That said, this clip was shot with an Angenieux 10-150 on a SI2K (2048 x 1156) with the optional top and bottom crop which unloads the data rate a little. You will have a slightly better clarity and contrast with a healthy 12-120.

If you crop your frame to the 4:3 image, then the vignette should mostly go away.

Edited by Robert Hart

The Blackmagic Ursa Broadcast G2 camera apparently has an active sensor area of 2/3"at 4K, which is near to Super16mm. Your lens mount options for vintage Angenieux 16mm film camera zoom lenses may be limited. 

I don't know if this camera has the same cropped sensor option for shooting with full frame anamorphic lenses as is provided by the 4.6K Ursa Mini camera family. 

Edited by Robert Hart

• 2 weeks later...

A friend of mine said he had a good experience shooting a documentary with the black magic 12k windowed down to 4k which gave him a 16mm format and used the Canon 8-64. I thought it sounded like a great idea and the stills he showed me looked awesome! Really small camera size with a huge zoom range. 

• Upvote 1

I have been interested in using this same lens. Anyone know if a S35 2x PL extender could work with PL s16 zooms cover s35 sensors? Or just not possible to fit or some other issue? Would love to use the lowlight on my Red Gemini with it.  

With the RF mount I have finally been able on my C70 and a Komodo play around with my Russian 16mm Meteor 5-1 17-69 mm M42 mount but stuck at 2k -1080p range. Cant wait for the next RED S35 8k camera see what this lens would look like in 4k-3.5k cropped.