Upstage lighting

Hello, 

I´ve read  different explanations about upstage lighting that got me very confused. The first one says that upstage lighting comes from theater. Applying it to cinema it would be something like the first diagram below. The second explanation divides the scene differently. So  when a DP talks about lighting upstage, which one of them are they refering to ?

By looking at the diagrams, the first one make it seems like upstage lighting it is using edge or backlight. And the second one anything between edge, sidelight and 3/4. 

881389267_CapturadeTela2022-08-11as12_56_43.png.4c6042c343494beb03da5c11232508b8.png

Captura-de-Tela-2022-08-11-a-s-13-02-28.png

I am afraid there is no strict definition. In the theatre and concert world, "upstage lighting" usually means that the source is mainly high above the talent, and a little behind. Some lighting technicians consider that it must be definitely behind, and use a separate term for fully (or close to) vertical : drop lights. Some others may consider that fully vertical or even slightly in front of the talent is still "upstage lighting" as long as it is high enough. What's more, maybe the lighting plot was designed with a great height in mind, and the reality of the performance in the local theatre next week is a stage with a grill 3m above it that forces "upstage lighting" to be more horizontal than vertical. But the lighting designer still talks of "upstage lighting". The common aspect in any case is that it creates a strong edge light.

I have never heard any technician calling side lighting "upstage lighting", although it also creates edge light.

"Back lighting" means the source is behind, but not necessary high above. It might be on the ground.

How to know what the guy means by "upstage lighting" ? Ask him.

Edited by Nicolas POISSON

These are general directions.  Theatrical stages used to be built on an incline that tilted slightly downward toward the audience.  So "downstage" is basically the lower third of the stage closest to the audience and "upstage" is the upper third furthest away.

I think the DP will likely be using the camera position as the reference point, similar to the audience perspective in the theater.  Closer to the camera is downstage, further away is upstage.  Alternately, there might just be an agreed upon orientation of the set as to what constitutes upstage and downstage, possibly using the director's chair as the "audience" reference.

That second diagram of yours looks to me like they're using "the line" as a mid-stage reference and calling things on the camera side downstage and things on the other side upstage.  

The function of the light (edge, key, background etc.) isn't necessarily determined by its position on the set.