100w Incandescent bulb inside a deep umbrella,

Hello all,

I would like to use a 100w incandescent bulb inside a 105cm (41")  deep umbrella with diffuser on :
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/765953-REG/Elinchrom_EL_23002_Modeling_Lamp_100W_230V.html/overview 
+
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1327208-REG/elinchrom_el26352_41_deep_umbrella_silver.html

To do so, i will have to buy a porcelain socket that supports high wattage :
https://www.manomano.fr/p/culot-en-porcelaine-pro-socket-76105-6729186 

My question, what clamp or attachment would you use to safely install this E27 socket on the umbrella rod ?
There are E27 clamp like this but they only support low wattages..

120024600.jpg 

Thank you all!

A 100W incandescent isn't going to get excessively hot. You don't need a porcelain fitting. Just use a domestic fitting and keep an eye on it. Make sure it doesn't touch the fabric. You don't need to use a modelling lamp either- any 100W bulb will do. You can still buy them as rough-service bulbs.

https://www.ebay.fr/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313&_nkw=100w+ampoule+maison+incandescent+220v&_sacat=11700&LH_TitleDesc=0&_osacat=11700&_odkw=100+w+ampoule+maison+incandescent+220+v

Why not try an LED bulb? 10-15W is equivalent to 100W and a warm white type will be a similar colour temperature, though the CRI is not so good and you have to watch out for flicker.

Edited by Mark Dunn

I appreciate your answer Mark, Thank you!
Domestic fittings have a 60watts tolerance nowadays because of the large spread of LEDS, so for safety, i prefer to use a porcelain or ceramic one..

As for the modeling lamp, this particular one is 100watts but said to have a 150watts output of light thanks to the 196v calibration, i'm gaining +50% of light with no extra power consumption..

As for Leds, those are a little bit flat to me but if someone has a "Led vs incandescent" comparison, i'm ready to be convinced..

Fair enough, I didn't notice that the modelling lamp was over-run so it will be somewhat hotter. If you are buying a clamp fitting anyway you may as well buy a ceramic.

As to the "flat" light, you are using a modifier (umbrella and diffuser) which will change the quality somewhat, so I would still do a test with an LED if you have one.

The 60W limit is really intended to stop a close-fitting lampshade from getting too hot- it's not really to protect the fitting itself. I still use a couple of 100W incandescent desk lamps with ordinary Bakelite sockets, and I think the one in your photograph would be fine. But full marks for caution. Fires are bad.

incidentally, even with modern cameras a 100W bulb in an umbrella with diffuser will not be very bright, but I assume you're not using it as a main light.

Edited by Mark Dunn

You're totally right about the flatness being somewhat cut by the modifier, that's why i seriously considered going the Led route for that project, but then i came across this video comparing an Aputure Led lamp through diffusion to an incandescent 150w bulb + diffusion too :

Maybe i'm biased but to me, the results just speak for themselves, incandescent has that sumptuous deepness that Led lacks..

I'm actually using it as my main light for still photography, medium format Hasselblad with long exposure (1/8 and slower)

I've found this clamp :  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Phot-R-Studio-Multi-Function-Reflector-Cameras/dp/B00MR0VPOQ
that should do the job i guess..

Thank you again for contributing Mark!

Edited by Mendes Nabil

My pleasure.

I have to say I don't see a lot of difference and what there is may not be comparing like with like. They are using a lot of flagging as well.

The important thing to me is the size of the light source. I think if you were to compare a domestic LED bulb with your incandescent they would look very similar- except for colour temperature of course.

The one in your link has a 1/4" tripod mount type screw, I'm not sure how suitable it is for mounting a light unless I'm missing something.

You've just used the magic word- Hasselblad- so I realise that the appearance of LED light on film may be different. Unless you are very wealthy and have a digital one. Sounds like a good reason for a comparison test.

I haven't used mine for 20 years. Occasionally I fire off the shutter. This is to keep it in working order. And to remind me what a proper camera looks like.

Edited by Mark Dunn

Describing light is a very subjective task, i love Paolo Roversi words about the "feeling of light", incandescent, like film, resonates with my sensitivity..

Darius Khondji had few words about Leds :

DK : Yes, sometimes I use led panels, especially when I am working with a particular American gaffer who uses them a lot. But I always feel like the result is too cosmetic… a little too perfect, like Kinos. You’ve got to play around with them and diffuse them to make the final result interesting."
https://www.afcinema.com/Cinematographer-Darius-Khondji-AFC-ASC-discusses-his-work-on-Magic-in-the-Moonlight-a-film-by-Woody-Allen.html

I'll be shooting Hasselblad film on the legendary 500CM for the first time, the feel of this beauty inspires to go above and beyond..

As for the clamp, i'll have to buy something like that to go with it (around the porcelain socket), with the right plate and thread obviously.. For now, i didn't found a better solution :
powersprint-collier-inox-pour-serrage-forte-contrainte.jpg

• Thanks 1