Quietest 16mm Cameras

Owen A. Davies

On 8/23/2022 at 5:58 PM, Tyler Purcell said:

Hand processing scratches film in most cases anyway. 

I'm just saying, the likelihood is greater, that's all. 

Just to set the record straight. I hand processed this recently - I was testing a m42 to CP adapter, the flicker is because of the adapter reflecting - not the hand processing. It does have a hand processed look and some dust but in capable hands, the CP16 doesn't scratch film, hand processing doesn't either when you're careful.  (an updated anodized black adapter works great btw.)

EDIT: Actually don't necessarily need "capable hands", I was a newbie when I got my CP and haven't had scratched film yet.  

pass: hp

On 8/23/2022 at 10:07 PM, Simon Wyss said:

Maybe too generalised a remark

I'd say so.

Edited by Robino Jones
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, Robino Jones said:

It does have a hand processed look

Yea it does, but this is pretty good. Haven't seen scratch-free, dirt free hand processing of motion picture film THIS good before. Did you clean it after you dried it? 

• Premium Member
14 hours ago, Dom Jaeger said:

Heh, that would just be a hole! 

Yea, the actual locking method is further down the lens, it's pretty self explanatory when you look at the pictures. The actual mount itself on the body, without the cup, is actually still considered a "C" mount, even though it has locking pins. I didn't write the American Cinematographer book, so I just assume they're accurate. 

2 hours ago, Tyler Purcell said:

Yea it does, but this is pretty good. Haven't seen scratch-free, dirt free hand processing of motion picture film THIS good before. Did you clean it after you dried it? 

I have a very unorthodox technique when I take the wet film and prep it for drying.. and would not advertise it here because I fear the snarky comments. My scanner has 4 PTRs in film path maybe that helps.

edit: just to be clear, no cleaning after drying.

Edited by Robino Jones

• Premium Member
42 minutes ago, Robino Jones said:

I have a very unorthodox technique when I take the wet film and prep it for drying.. and would not advertise it here because I fear the snarky comments. My scanner has 4 PTRs in film path maybe that helps.

I mean that's pretty clean. You can look at any other examples of hand processed online and 99% of the time you'll see unusable results, mostly because they don't have the proper processing equipment.  So gotta give ya props, no matter the drying method! If it works, it works!