NEW- Super 8 film online- RAGE OF SILENCE

Justin Lovell

Official web release today.

RAGE OF SILENCE

4 1/2 min samurai/kung fu flic.

tri-x, nizo pro, modified shutter angle, shot in camera, in sequence. No post editing allowed.

www.justinlovell.com > rage of silence > watch film.

lemme know what you think.

ros_image15.gif

justin

frame discreet

www.justinlovell.com

Very nice job. Here is how I would have done it differently:

1.) Less side to side wiggling of camera, it became noticable.

2.) Two splices are showing.

3.) Color man living color!

Good job on the editing and composing the shots.

Good job on the continuity.

Sound wasn't bad either.

Very nice job. Here is how I would have done it differently:

1.) Less side to side wiggling of camera, it became noticable.

2.) Two splices are showing.

3.) Color man living color!

Good job on the editing and composing the shots.

Good job on the continuity.

Sound wasn't bad either.

1) Yeah, I wanted to have a really jarring feel to it, but with the telephoto lens, I went a little too far with it. Live and learn. Especially in the snap zoom on the henchman who notices the girl.... really aggrivates me.

2) I like the splices. I could have cut them out, but I left them in to give it some more texture. You may not agree with that, asthetically but that's my choice. It just a constant reminder to me to not f' up next time. ;)

3) black and white. needed the extra exposure and that was the look I really wanted. Had considered giving it a slight warm sepia.. really slight, but didn't want to affect the film in post.

thanks for the kind words.

justin

frame discreet

www.justinlovell.com

Great job man.

I do agree that maybe a little less camera shaking. I thought that it was a good element during the intense fighting parts. But I felt like a was watching the blair witch project after a while. Good job though, I really liked the super 8 look for this piece.

-Brandon

Great job man.

I do agree that maybe a little less camera shaking. I thought that it was a good element during the intense fighting parts. But I felt like a was watching the blair witch project after a while. Good job though, I really liked the super 8 look for this piece.

-Brandon

I agree with Clampet15. A little less camera shaking would be nice. But yeah pretty well done. Congratulations. Images are great.

It reminded me a little bit of some scenes of 'Andrei Rublev' from Tarkovsky.

Guest Christopher Heston

I to agree with the shakey camera movements. I do believe however, they might have worked had the camera been running at a high speed. Try running a super 8 at 54fps and then shake it for "intensity." You might get a very interesting result.

I love the close-ups - you seem to compose yuor super 8 stuff well close-up.

However, I think that so far your best film is stuntman. The shot you have of the guy running next to the two women is like I'm watching a bad copy of a 16mm film (for super 8) that's frickin' great. Nice job on the exposure and camera movement for that shot.

Not sure where you live, but I'd love to collaberate with you. I've been shooting super 8 for a while and I own a numerous amount of cameras (like the canon 310xl and the 814xls). If you want you could check out my super 8 short online. at

http://slugfilm.ucsc.edu/videoarchive/get_video.php?film=197

-Chris

I forgot one thing - GREAT JOB IN POST SOUND!! Very impressive.

-Chris

Thanks for the comments guys.

I'm in Toronto, dunno where you are. I'm looking to shoot another version of ROS, in a green forest for super 8 blowup eventually to 35mm. Gonna do all the seasons tackling some action films, kung fu style.

I'm really happy with my sound team, they've been great.

.... I agree with everyone about too much shakyness, but that's a lesson I learned when trying to push my boundaries. I would have shot some footage at 54fps, but the festival requirements didn't allow me to shoot more than 2 rolls, i'd have gone over for sure....

Really nice work Justin, interesting compositions, enjoyed the high contrast look -- immpressive, given the circumstances.

Didn't see that much grain for super 8. How did you transfer your footage?

Raffi

Thanks again.

There actually is quite a bit of grain, web compression smoothed it out. The actual transfer is razor sharp, the grain looks stunning.... shot on tri-x for it to really punch through.

It's nice 'cause the grain isn't soft and obtrusive grain like you commonly have seen with shoddy transfers with the old ektachrome colour stock.

Oh.. and... it was transfered by frame discreet using a _modified_ Workprinter XP. You can get some excellent results with this unit, if you're willing to spend the bucks on building a proper computer capture setup, as well as investing in a solid camera to photograph your frames with.

Will be upgrading to a SNIPER PRO with a modified higher resolution camera in the new year.

justin

frame discreet

www.justinlovell.com

Oh.. and... it was transfered by frame discreet using a _modified_ Workprinter XP. You can get some excellent results with this unit, if you're willing to spend the bucks on building a proper computer capture setup, as well as investing in a solid camera to photograph your frames with.

Will be upgrading to a SNIPER PRO with a modified higher resolution camera in the new year.

justin

Thanks Justin.

Yeah, I figured that the small size of the web image would hide some of the grain.

I will be shooting a low budget project fairly soon that will use a fair amount of super 8, and though I am not planning on buying a workprinter or sniper, I may just send out my footage to them for the transfer. I have used Cinepost once in the past for super 8 telecine and was pleased with the results, but the prices for this outfit are a bit better. The project will be a short that has a mix of 16mm and Super 8, and I want the two gauges to look distinctivley different, the super 8 footage will be black and white, trix and plusx, and I want it to retain some of the grain that is inherant with super 8, but still look pleasing to the eye.

Raffi

Thanks Justin.

Yeah, I figured that the small size of the web image would hide some of the grain.

I will be shooting a low budget project fairly soon that will use a fair amount of super 8, and though I am not planning on buying a workprinter or sniper, I may just send out my footage to them for the transfer. I have used Cinepost once in the past for super 8 telecine and was pleased with the results, but the prices for this outfit are a bit better. The project will be a short that has a mix of 16mm and Super 8, and I want the two gauges to look distinctivley different, the super 8 footage will be black and white, trix and plusx, and I want it to retain some of the grain that is inherant with super 8, but still look pleasing to the eye.

Raffi

Cool Sounds like you know what you want. More than anything, I'd recommend shooting a test with each roll, including the 16mm stock you are choosing, and check them all out side by side off the transfer.

I've found the plusx stock to be very slick, and superior to trix for 'lack of grain'... plusx has what is often referred to as a 'velvety' feel, smooth. Tri-x will defineatly be a harsher more contrasty look from the 16mm.

Again, do a test, plusx may be a better way to go, when you actually compare it to the 16mm stock that you're choosing. Don't forget that you'll be loosing a few stops shooting the slower plusx too, so any indoor scenes will need more light, and any slo-mo or shutter angle 'tricks' will need more light/exposure.

all the best,

• 11 months later...
  • Premium Member

That was awesome, I love the tracking shot.

Shame about the hair in the gait but whatta' ya gonna do?

I like the shutter angle, how'd you simulate the effect of a 30 degree shutter (as posted on your website)?

Great effort! I particularly liked the foley artist's recreation of classic dubbed B-movies... All in all possibly the best use of 2 rolls of B&w SUPER 8 I've ever seen, and the hair in the gate - well, it all adds to the feel as far as I see it.

Hello Justin,

Really outstanding work. I have to disagree with some of the others, I really liked the use of that SAVING PRIVATE RYAN stutter look of the camera and movement. I think it added a lot to the film.

Loved the black and white as well. Sound was really fantastic. When you consider that this was all edited "in camera" that makes it all the more remarkable.

In my opinion, Justin is one of the best Super-8 filmmakers out there. His films are always first rate and really they are setting the standard as to what can be done on Super 8.

Transfer is also excellent.

Justin, keep writing, keep making films!

Mike

That was awesome, I love the tracking shot.

Shame about the hair in the gait but whatta' ya gonna do?

I like the shutter angle, how'd you simulate the effect of a 30 degree shutter (as posted on your website)?

Thanks Bill, I appreciate the kind words.

I used my CSST... coffee stir stick technique. Whereas you take a wooden coffee stir stick, break it in half, then tape it together (so it is nice an wide), then wedge it into the the slider for the variable shutter (on the NIZO 800 or Pro model) to hold it in place.

All great ideas start from stupid ideas.

:huh:

Thanks, Michael, Andrew and all the other posters, you guys are all really kind.

re: tracking shot & dolly shot...

One of them was done on a dolly on pipes, the other was done on an old school sled, I rode it like a snowboard and someone pulled me along from the front. We packed down a track from a few tests runs then let 'er rip. It was cool 'cause it just started to snow a little when we did that shot. It's real pretty when you get a chance to shoot falling water or snow with small shutter angles.

Official web release today.

RAGE OF SILENCE

4 1/2 min samurai/kung fu flic.

tri-x, nizo pro, modified shutter angle, shot in camera, in sequence. No post editing allowed.

www.justinlovell.com > rage of silence > watch film.

Very cool. I wish I had that much vision. I read a bit about Stuntman in Super8 Today. Nice work. Glad to see people are getting good stuff from Super 8.

I'm part of a film group here in Columbus, Ohio and I will be spreading the word about your work.

Sean McHenry

I didn't mind the two visable splices or the camera movement.Delightfully reminiscent of the kung fu genre.The hair in the gate is a shame though.The snap zoom worked well,I might have been tempted to overdo that,continuing to copycat the style.I would like to see a sequel to that,next time try shooting on Fuji Velvia.The oversaturated colors will give it a nice unnatural feel.I might even shoot in a widescreen format,like many of the old kung fu movies were shot in.

Very nice!That's one lady I don't think I want to ask out.

I've previously seen this on your site, and I was blown away with the story you were able to tell while shooting in-camera with no edits. Very impressive. There's no way I'd be able to do that.

As for the first post about "Color man living color!", that's a dissapointingly close-minded perception of visual style. This movie gained so much from black-and-white.

I've previously seen this on your site, and I was blown away with the story you were able to tell while shooting in-camera with no edits. Very impressive. There's no way I'd be able to do that.

As for the first post about "Color man living color!", that's a dissapointingly close-minded perception of visual style. This movie gained so much from black-and-white.

Yeah, I think the Black and White helped to sell a certain timelessness to the piece. Also, in future, I know that wardrobe colors are more forgiving in black and white ;)

I'd like to shoot the next one in a wider format. I just watched Shogun Assasin, and that was a great flic. The music in the last scene and during the credits was great. Synth metal as I'd like to call it.

I'm planning on continuing to develop the story of RAGE OF SILENCE with a comic book style approach. Each film will be like a comic book, very visual, fast paced and action packed. Tie in some blood and guts, some sword play, flips, martial arts and a few more women and you'll have an idea where i'm going with this.

Each film will be like a chapter in the comic book, going back in time to explain where the girl came from and also to explain why the other ninja was trying to save her.

Much of the story has been scripted but I just need to choose which episode to do next. I was planning to make the episode which explains how the girl was captured. It will heavily involve a chase into tall grass and a stealthy attack by the girl and the rest of her clan against more henchmen....

We're currently in search of talented crew and martial artists who want to be involved in the project. Production takes place in the Toronto area.

keep your eyes open! Aiming to be shooting this spring.