Unknown REX 3 Modifications

Aaron Martin @ OH

Hi -

I recently purchased a Bolex REX 3 and it has some modifications I have never seen on a Bolex before. 

1) When I look through the lens mount with the shutter open I can see a gold piece of metal that seems to shrink the size of the gate.

2) The pressure plate is black. It looks to be the correct size, but it's definitely not a standard Bolex pressure plate.

3) There is an arm attached to the pressure plate, and some mechanical stuff below it I don't recognize?

Here's three photos to help illustrate what I am seeing:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1oeejb7n2pRDvG41kLtVLXgZxKaXTTJkS?usp=sharing

Has anyone seen modifications like these before? Do you know how/why/where they would have been done?

Any help is appreciated, and I am happy to post more photos if needed.

Thanks,

Aaron

It's a prism reflex camera so you're not looking directly at the gate. I don't know Bolexes but I think the glass behind is the face of the prism- which needs a bit of a clean btw!- and the brass frame is just part of the prism assembly.

Edited by Mark Dunn

• 2 weeks later...

From Serial Number 233 801. "Material and surface treatment of the gate have been modified in order to reduce sliding friction and the risk of oxydation and emulsion deposits.

Stainless steel has been replaced by aluminium, and the thickness of the picture gate has been diminished in order to avoid reflexes.

Introduction of a Nylon insert opposite the reverse motion claw. Both Nylon inserts are driven and cemented."

Your REX3 camera is from 1963 -1964 (202501-210600). A qualified technician replaced the film gate during a CLA.

bolex_gate.jpg

Edited by alexandre favre
  • Like 1