Foreground Objects Attached to Mattebox

EDDUS RAY

Hi guys,

I'm trying to come up with some unique ways to "dirty" up the image and add some depth to the profile/b-cam angle for an interview shoot i'm DPing. 

I won't be able to afford anamorphics or nice vintage glass, so I was hoping to find other ways to introduce character & anomalies into the frame.

Some thoughts I had:
-Clear filter w/ silicone gel (or similar) on edges for simulated edge blur
-Ping lens w/ direct source for subtle lens flare

Anyone have suggestions?

Both the techniques you mentioned along with a handful of others are regularly used for just this...very popular for the long lens b-camera side angle. it helps to have time to play with it on set and its easier on longer lenses. 

usually you just use vasaline for the filter thing, but it really does just blur the frame.

sometimes people just to place a glass of water in the edge of the frame, that gives a similar effect to prisms.

backlit helps with all of this sorta stuff usually.

There is even some kit you can buy of prisms and various objects you can place right on the edge of frame

Edited by Albion Hockney

On 8/30/2022 at 12:44 AM, Albion Hockney said:

sometimes people just to place a glass of water in the edge of the frame, that gives a similar effect to prisms.

great idea. i have some prism filters but those are a bit more intense and probably more useful for a music video, etc.

appreciate your input, thanks

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Stretch a stocking over the lens and burn holes in it to create sharp areas of the scene.

Cut an irregular iris out of black card stock and place it very close to the front lens element to make a broken-up vignette around the image.