I had a nice photo of the Queen

Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

Lost in storage. She is inspecting an assault rifle with the military. Looked all over for it. Last time I saw it was 2 years ago when working in the storage locker. Now poof!

Well, here is one from 1967 by Yousuf Karsh...

Queen%20Elizabeth%20II%201967%20Yousuf%2

Queen Elizabeth II

April 21, 1926 - September 8, 2022

DDTJRAC

Edited by Daniel D. Teoli Jr.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Still no luck finding the photo of the Queen and gun. Spent hours digging though stuff and no go. But I did find an interesting photo from the Coronation back in 1953. It is one of the first photos of the event flown back to the USA to be distributed as a wire photo. This copy was dated June 5 for publication.

Elizabeth%20II%20on%20the%20way%20to%20C

Elizabeth%20II%20on%20the%20way%20to%20C

DDTJRAC

Press photos are an interesting area of collection. Many of them are low-grade wire photos or processed poorly. (See link) But sometimes you get a decent press photo. The newspapers only needed something to publish. They didn't care about archival longevity.

Before and after press photo restoration – Daniel D. Teoli Jr. Archival Collection – II (home.blog)

I hope I didn't lose the Queen when I downsized a storage unit a while back. Every time I move, stuff seems to get lost. And having no proper space to work...the Archive eats the Archive sometimes.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member

Pretty clearly taken from the roof of the Grand Building (not to be confused with the Grand Hotel, opposite), looking southwest almost up the Mall. Building at top centre is Uganda House, now (and possibly then) the location of the Ugandan High Commission.

What doesn't make quite so much sense is why the procession didn't immediately turn right down Whitehall, which would be the fastest route to Westminster Abbey. That's the turning with the row of people standing across it. Any other route makes almost no sense. 

Likely location of photographer is about here, given the flag-waving enthusiast at the bottom right.

image.png.811e1c7b2f97cbffe400a341e58896aa.png

16 minutes ago, Phil Rhodes said:

What doesn't make quite so much sense is why the procession didn't immediately turn right down Whitehall, which would be the fastest route to Westminster Abbey.

I would expect that the intention was not to follow the shortest route but to give the greatest possible opportunity for people to see the procession. It was raining but she was under cover. There was no great rush to get to the Abbey. She was already Queen.

Her final journey tomorrow, however, will be as direct as can be.

Edited by Mark Dunn

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Mark Dunn said:

I would expect that the intention was not to follow the shortest route but to give the greatest possible opportunity for people to see the procession. It was raining but she was under cover. There was no great rush to get to the Abbey. She was already Queen.

Presumably, yes. I wonder if they went down Northumberland Avenue and along the North Bank. Presumably we'll find out if they do the same thing next year.

• Thanks 1

On 9/18/2022 at 9:11 AM, Phil Rhodes said:

Pretty clearly taken from the roof of the Grand Building (not to be confused with the Grand Hotel, opposite), looking southwest almost up the Mall. Building at top centre is Uganda House, now (and possibly then) the location of the Ugandan High Commission.

What doesn't make quite so much sense is why the procession didn't immediately turn right down Whitehall, which would be the fastest route to Westminster Abbey. That's the turning with the row of people standing across it. Any other route makes almost no sense. 

Likely location of photographer is about here, given the flag-waving enthusiast at the bottom right.

image.png.811e1c7b2f97cbffe400a341e58896aa.png

You never know how these things are planned. Nice update with the photo.

Queen%20Elizabeth%20II%20A%20Queen%20is%

I got a copy of the DVD A Queen is Crowned. (Photo above - DDTJRAC) The DVD is from a dye transfer Technicolor print. Pretty spectacular event. With all the gold they laid upon her, she was so heavy they needed 2 assistants to steady her...or that was what I gathered from watching the film.

I will break the DVD down and make a little sampler of it for the Internet Archive. It is always tough trying to figure out how much of someone else's material to use. They got the whole thing on YT, so that says something. But what others do, may not apply to me, so I am still cautious with sampling too much copyrighted material.

(1625) A Queen is Crowned - YouTube

With archival work, almost everything you deal with is / was someone else's copyrighted material, so it is always a battle of the greater good vs. the greater right.

On 9/24/2022 at 3:16 PM, Daniel D. Teoli Jr. said:

With archival work, almost everything you deal with is / was someone else's copyrighted material, so it is always a battle of the greater good vs. the greater right.

Under UK law it would have been the 1911 Act, so 50 years after the death of the longest lived of the directors. So it could just still be in copyright. In the US it would depend on whether it was registered (likely) and renewed after 27 years, I assume.

But it's decent of you to be scrupulous about it. It's a rare virtue.

As you may know the Coronation was held off to June in the hope of good weather but it rained all day. The BBC outside broadcast looks very dingy (as do most kinescopes of that vintage!) but the Rank colour film is pretty spectacular.

Edited by Mark Dunn

On 9/25/2022 at 11:40 AM, Mark Dunn said:

Under UK law it would have been the 1911 Act, so 50 years after the death of the longest lived of the directors. So it could just still be in copyright. In the US it would depend on whether it was registered (likely) and renewed after 27 years, I assume.

But it's decent of you to be scrupulous about it. It's a rare virtue.

As you may know the Coronation was held off to June in the hope of good weather but it rained all day. The BBC outside broadcast looks very dingy (as do most kinescopes of that vintage!) but the Rank colour film is pretty spectacular.

Didn't know about the June date change. What was the original plan for the date?

I found some beautiful magazine spreads of the Queen with all her wardrobe she wore on one trip. I will have to dig out the oversize scanner to scan it. That is always a pain in the ass job. You are lucky you can get all this stuff for cheap shipping in the UK. Very $$ to ship here.

22 hours ago, Daniel D. Teoli Jr. said:

What was the original plan for the date?

I believe it was always planned that way. At a time when travel from the farthest parts of the Commonwealth was measured in weeks, even four months was too soon. So it was 16 months.

• 1 month later...
On 9/29/2022 at 3:57 AM, Mark Dunn said:

I believe it was always planned that way. At a time when travel from the farthest parts of the Commonwealth was measured in weeks, even four months was too soon. So it was 16 months.

Never thought anything about that. We take it for granted with travel nowadays. Sadly, I still have not found the color queen photo. But I did find a bunch of old BW press photos of the queen and various royals. I hope to scan them if and when I get some time...before the clutter eats them again!

I am having lots of problems with a custom computer I had made. The computer works great, but after Windows updated it the external DVD drives are not recognized now. I tried all the recommended online fixes more or less. Still no go. Now I have to remove all the software from the new computer and dig out my old computer to reinstall them so I can burn discs. Optical discs are a huge part of my work. Even if I didn't burn any discs for the optical disc library; I'm always cutting up DVD's to extract some clips for archival discussions. God, I hate Microsoft.