Lightweight Matte Box with 15mm Rods

Gareth Stack

First time posting on the site, so apologies if this isn't the correct subforum to ask... I have a basic low budget narrative setup, with a BMPCC4K and custom shoulder rig, shooting on Zeiss Contax. I'm wondering if there's a good solution for a matte box that can a) be mounted on 15mm rods, and b) also is lightweight enough to clip onto the lenses when needed (i.e.: running on gimbal). Perhaps it's just a terrible idea to hang any matte box, especially with filters, from these lenses. Issue I'm running into is balancing the camera with any kind of rod solution on my crane 3 gimbal. Seems all but impossible given the awkward shape of the BMPCC4K + Smallrig cage. Just about balances without any additional components, but raised up on a small rod setup it's much more difficult. Currently using Tilta's lightweight solution (Tilta MB-T15 Tiltaing 4 x 5.65 Mini Matte Box) - but it's very poorly made. Thanks.

You could try Bright Tangerine  They have a lot of mattebox options. Specs are likely on the website regarding weight.

The lighter you go, the less robust the materials in general.  You may want to consider screw on filters and a lens hood for a more lightweight solution. At least for the gimbal shots.