A processing machine up for auction...

• Site Sponsor
20 hours ago, Gareth Blackstock said:

I had a quick conversation with an electrician regarding 3 phase converters, he said that while a converter would likely get a 3 phase machine running, once the machine started drawing big power the converter would fail. And getting 3 phase connected.... thousands. 

Film processors are kind of basic machines you could re-wire allot of it for 220v and most likely the drive motor is controlled by a 220v to 90v motor controller. Should not be too hard to do.

• Like 1

Whoa there..... im not keen on getting into film processing as a business.... in Australia i reckon that would be a very good way of throwing money away.... in a big hurry!

Mostly i was keen as it is thr last machine of its type left running ish in Aussie.... and i do like to tinker.... im not overly phased by the power draw, 3 phase motors can be replaced with modern higher torque single phase motors.... and i looked at the specs Mark linked to, thats a 20 foot processor! Im guessing the one above draws less....

G

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'd be keen to find a compact processor available in the UK if anyone here has any leads.... 

I'm also glad I just moved away from Australia, as am 99% sure I would have bid and made the same journey only to discover its size. Though I probably would have taken it - I have family with a large estate in Grafton, NSW.

• 2 weeks later...

So, a quick update on my adventure to get hold of this machine.... I returned to pick it up with a hire ute and a trailer used for bobcat diggers... and using a 2 tonne block and tackle, boat winch, crow bars, ramps, ratchet straps et all...... we finally got the bugger onto the trailer.  Getting it home and unloading it alone, my helper abandoned ship early, probably pulled a muscle.... all went well.  I threw together this funny little video taken from my security camera.  And yes, it is now inside a shed, nice and dry.  I needn't lock it away, its not as though anyone can steal it...

• Upvote 1

I also took the opportunity to look over the mechanicals.... as I was worried about the 3 phase requirements.  Looking at all the motors and pumps, it is only one motor that is 3 phase, the dryer motor (blows hot air into the drying cabinet)

All the other electricals are single phase, or can run off house power.  So if I remove the drying motor, and use a 3 phase converter... then I may be able to run it without blowing fuses.  

processing compartment.jpg

• Like 1

And these two large pumps to filter the developer and wash could perhaps not be used until after the processing is finished, further reducing the power draw.  

I will have to draw myself lots of pictures and diagrams to find my way through which does what.... and what items can be switched independently.  I like a challenge!  

processing tank filter pumps and filters.jpg

• Like 1

Wow! Looks amazing. All the best with this project. I once tried to save two enormous, beautifully made cinema projectors in excellent condition from the scrapheap but wasn't able to take on the project. Unlike you I'm not so good at engineering projects and tinkering.

It's sort of heart-warming seeing the efforts people are going to to save celluloid motion picture filmmaking and processing in Australia.

Hello, 

Thanks for the support, i like a challenge... and it occured to me that if i ever get around to shooting my stock of expired film and processing it to b&w... without sending to the U.K or U.S, then id better buy my own processor.... or pay $$$$$$ sending it overseas.

Future proofing i guess...

• 1 month later...

So a quick update: With advice from an electrician I have wired the processor to run on 240 volts house power, however I have disconnected the two 3 phase motors and heaters, just so I can see if the machine is actually functioning.

Well the processor fired up and works very well.  I filled the vats with water to help clean and assist with the processor, I figured that as all the rollers are dirty, the built up grime may slow the machine somewhat.  I had to manually assist the clear film carrier travel through the vats, obviously some of the rubber rollers need a clean to better grip the film carrier spools that convey the film.  The film feed roll system and tension release works well, the take up roller and tension adjust works well, the vat temp gauges work... I could not start the pumps, I am thinking they might be linked to the circuits I disabled.

Next step the electrician will hopefully wire up the VFD I bought (converts single phase house power to 3 phase to run such machines) I next lift out the roller assemblies for a wash and fault check and power wash the vats.  

Once thats all finished I hope to get the machine running, write down the various settings, time how long it takes for film to enter and exit to calculate what speed to run the processor on to properly fix and develop film, install stainless steel sealed tubes to reduce the amount of chemical I will need..... and then run of and shoot heaps of expired stock (of which I have loads) and practice not buggering it all up.

Below are links to short clips of the machine rollers turning.

https://youtu.be/MHvg0KrrtLs

https://youtube.com/shorts/NMHw8LrqKoE?feature=share

• Upvote 2

Thanks for the feedback, it was certainly an awesome moment...  like that scene from Frankenstein..."It's Alive!  It's Alive!  It's Alive!  It's Alive!..etc etc" you get the idea.

Thanks also Robert, I figure you're pretty busy... all info is good info right now, lots of gaps in my knowledge of this machine.

Gareth

• 8 months later...

Hello,

So I have been working slowly but steadily on the processor, I have been adjusting the rollers, currently replacing some perished roller tires, and continued working on disconnecting some heavy draw motors and will later replace with lower voltage motors. 

I purchased a 3 phase petrol generator and the processor runs on it very well.  Although I think I am still around 5 months from getting close to experimenting processing some film in caffenol, I may still come across obstacles.

I created a blog so I could add pics and explanations as I go. 

https://aussiecine.wordpress.com/filmlab-engineering-bw-processor-blog/

getting there slowly....

Cheers, Gareth

On 11/24/2022 at 8:33 PM, Gareth Blackstock said:

Whoa there..... im not keen on getting into film processing as a business.... in Australia i reckon that would be a very good way of throwing money away.... in a big hurry!

Mostly i was keen as it is thr last machine of its type left running ish in Aussie.... and i do like to tinker.... im not overly phased by the power draw, 3 phase motors can be replaced with modern higher torque single phase motors.... and i looked at the specs Mark linked to, thats a 20 foot processor! Im guessing the one above draws less....

G

Interesting project!

If something is too big for you and you get a steal on it, hire a pro mover to fetch it for you. 

Good luck!

Edited by Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

• 2 months later...

So just a quick update, the processor is working well and I am within 3 to 5 months of going to be able to process some film.  I still have a few items to adapt, a blower heater for the drying cabinet, and working out the temps so I don't cook film.  The vacuum process is pretty much sorted, and I will install an extra roller in one of the racks, should assist the film going through the processor better.  And once I process some film I may have to adjust a few things depending on the results.

I have run the processor to establish times for development etc.  It take an hour to feed the leader through from start to finish, so if I attached some 400 ft exposed film to the tail, it would take another hour to process that... so 2 hours... when they told me it was a slow B&W processor they weren't joking!

Power supply is stable, a 3 phase generator with an extension.... Before doing any processing everything needs a good clean, and I have to make up a cover for the whole processor to protect it from dust etc.  Thankfully it is a small processor, maybe 10 feet in length.

I have also received lots of positive support from local film processors and experienced people, and suggestions like modifying it to run colour film.... not sure about that one, sounds to be very difficult...

I also keep a regularly updated blog of my progress, with pictures and videos of the processor:

https://aussiecine.wordpress.com/filmlab-engineering-bw-processor-blog/

Gareth

• Like 4