Mitigating rain for a "sunny" TVC

Matt Siegel

Hi All,

I'm shooting a TVC this weekend which, being for a major manufacturer of solar batteries, is meant to have a high-key "sun-drenched" look. Of course, that means the forecast has suddenly come up with a 90% chance of rain on the day, and I'm wondering what people have done in the past to mitigate this kind of thing. Unfortunately, budget means rescheduling isn't an option, and I need to get at least three ext setups with a backlit, sunny look. We've got M18s and lots of smaller lamps in the 600D/X range, but I'm more wondering if people have had success in the past rigging rain covers over large areas, ie a 20x20 ultra bounce over the location, maybe with an M18 bouncing off it for ambience? It's more about keeping the rain off my talent and making it appear not to be raining than anything else; and then once I've got that, I can worry about how to actually make it look like a naturally sunny day when it's absolutely bloody not.

Any experiences in the past that folks have had would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Best,

Matt