Time-Lapse with Arri 235

Dennis Toeppen

Hello,

I need to shoot a sequence of moves by a railroad semaphore signal. Sequence takes about 12 minutes from start to finish. 

I've tried shooting at 8 fps as a poor substitute for time-lapse. It is a poor substitute for time-lapse.

Does anyone know manufacturer/model of an inexpensive device that can facilitate shooting time-lapes with 235?

Thanks in advance for any knowledge/experience you toss my way.

Tbe manual says the 235 runs down to 1fps, that's 30 seconds for your sequence. Or you could shoot faster and have options in post. Maybe you can even speed adjust your existing 8fps sequence.

As to an external controller, no specific knowledge, sorry. The manual doesn't mention one.

Edited by Mark Dunn

13 minutes ago, Dennis Toeppen said:

Huh. For some reason, I thought 8 fps was the minimum for this camera. It could be that I didn't want to venture below 1/8 second esposure due to motion blur. 

I found a manual here through the wiki page

https://cameramarket.eu/data/pdf/cameramarket_arri 235 manual.pdf

page 60-61 'Frame Rates'

It would as you say be 1/8 at 45deg. shutter at 1fps, but if you shot at a higher rate (1/64 at 8fps?) I don't know how a speed adjustment in post would work out.

Edited by Mark Dunn

Oh, interesting. I didn't think about shutter angle. I have a shutter tool, but I'm afraid to use it. 

I was planning on displaying it as time-lapse, rather than correcting back to real time. 

Thanks for the shutter angle comment. That was very helpful. There's a good chance I'll try <8 fps with shutter closed down.

I'm still interested in learning if there is any intervalometer box I can use. I could avoid troublesome shutter fiddling in the field if I had a device.

This camera came in at the tail end of the film era so it could just be that no-one thought it worthwhile to produce an aftermarket controller for it, assuming it would have been possible to do so.

What about just switching on, letting a frame click over, then switching off, once every few seconds as required. Or doing it with the Arri wireless controller in the manual. Or, if you can work out the remote socket pinout, wire up your own switch.

That would work fine until signal moves and train enters frame. My inability to precisely trigger shutter would lead to jumpy motion. 

Funny that an advanced camera can't do something easy. I don't think it can even do single frame at a reasonable shutter speed. Even a Bolex RX5 can do that ?

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Dennis Toeppen said:

That would work fine until signal moves and train enters frame. My inability to precisely trigger shutter would lead to jumpy motion. 

Funny that an advanced camera can't do something easy. I don't think it can even do single frame at a reasonable shutter speed. Even a Bolex RX5 can do that ?

It just wasn’t built for that. There is a capping shutter for the 435 to shoot single frames and back in the day that may have been the Arri camera to go to for 35mm time lapse?

IIRC the 435 was trigger-able by Kuper and other motion control software, along with the intervalometer controller that I think came with the capping shutter, I believe thru the CCU port. not sure if that intervalometer works on the 235 or not. The 435 was the vfx camera of its era, so its possible they kept those functions exclusive to it thru the Xtreme era

• 4 weeks later...