Sound solution for a charity event stage play?

Ryan Ivy

Hi everybody!

I am definitely out of my depth here and I figured I would ask far greater minds than mine the million dollar question. I had a volunteer community theater reach out to me about the possibilities of recording their stage play and help them upload it to the interwebs for the soldiers that weren’t able to make it to the event. What type of microphone/ sound equipment would be a good solution to this? I guessed lav mics, (but an 11 member cast seems pricey), or what level of omnidirectional mics would make sense (if any at all) for a sound crisis like this? I figured it was worth a shot to also ask brands and models that seem reliable for sound because I’m not a sound guy…yet…I’ve got a growth mindset and want to learn tho! If you have any thoughts on it I would appreciate the advice or direction, and if not, please leave comments explaining politely (or rudely lol) how I can say no to this organization because the cost would be too high. I only have a zoom h6 to my name, so, I would probably have to have them buy their own mic equipment if they were willing to pony up for that. *sigh, why do I do this to myself? Lol.

-Ryan

Assuming the show is not in the round but proscenium arch (end on) then the easiest and cheapest way would be to hire two shotgun mics and run them into your H6 and synch up to the camera(s) later in post. Have them on stands at the front but off to the sides pointing into the centre of the stage. You may get some off axis colouration depending on how wide the staging is but will be a better result than omnis and reduce the room/hall sound. That is what I have done on some of the theatre multicams I have done. Without knowing more details that is what I would do. 

• Upvote 1

Ryan,

I don't know how much lead time you have before show start date, so I don't know how much time you have for prep.

The simplest way would be to hang a single Electrovoice 635A from the center of the proscenium arch pointing slightly upstage.

An RE50 would work as well (being a 635A with a big foam rubber head).  One of the most emotional, and moving recording of a Symphony Orchestra ever made was Sir Adrian Boult' s recording of "In Memorium"  by Sibelius, done with a single mike in one take.  (early 1900's---no editing!!)

However the problem of moving actors means more mics.  Find the area where scenes play and hang a mike angled towards it. Away from the House.

Professional theatre sound people will mic people with lav mics placed in their hair or under their clothing (supported by suspended mics, also)---- but like you say : that's expensive.

Run these to a mixer board smaller than a Rock Band's but similar to it.  (I can't remember any brand names but Guitar Center or other similar places will have them).  Enough to cover the number of mics you hang overhead.  (not too many!!).  Then run that output to your Zoom or other recorder.  Make sure that everything is ac powered and not Battery!!  Especially the mics.  A mic battery dying puts out the most horrendous noise like bacon sizzling at breakfast.  Phantom powered mics will work but may be more expensive to purchase or rent.  Won't help you either if the recorder battery dies will it?  Lead time permitting you can play with stereo output or just go mono.

Be sure and coordinate with the lights person as you don't want his light pipe shifting away from the scene after he has everything set,  or a phallic shadow covering the face of an actress.   (LOL)  Be sure and avoid hanging mics where scenery will fly up into it as well.  That'll ruin your day,  eh?  Mics will need to hang in such a way as to suppress  noise from the lights themselves,  but not cast that shadow.

I've gotten this far and note that someone has responded and it reminds me that I was thinking of you creating an audio track as audio track.  

What he says is a quick option and entirely workable.

Now at least, you have some options.

Hope this helps.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Eric Eader said:

Be sure and coordinate with the lights person as you don't want his light pipe shifting away from the scene after he has everything set,  or a phallic shadow covering the face of an actress.   (LOL)

Does this come from experience?…? Hilarious visuals, thanks for that and thanks for the multiple options! I am going to look at the stage this week and see what kind of shenanigans I can get myself into. Thank you very much for the suggestions, and I will be sure to not run stuff on batteries! Thanks for the help!

-Ryan

1 hour ago, Patrick Baldwin said:

two shotgun mics and run them into your H6 and synch up to the camera(s) later in post. Have them on stands at the front but off to the sides pointing into the centre of the stage

Ahhh I didn’t even think about that! Completely spaced the additional ports on the H6! ?Thank you! This seems like a great option! I will see what I can muster up! Thanks again!

-Ryan

3 hours ago, Ryan Ivy said:

Ahhh I didn’t even think about that! Completely spaced the additional ports on the H6! ?Thank you! This seems like a great option! I will see what I can muster up! Thanks again!

-Ryan

If you do this two things: Remember the shotguns pickup sound from the rear as well so you don't want chatty audience sitting right behind them and also remember to treat the two tracks as mono in post. It's not a stereo setup. Nobody will care that it isn't stereo. Good luck.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Put Countryman H6 headset lavs on all the cast. Rent Shure wireless (the options from worst/cheapest to best/expensive is: Shure SLX-D / QLX-D / ULX-D / Axient Digital). Use a Zoom F8n with a Zoom F Control for recording and mixing the audio. (you said it is an 11 member cast, but will all of them ever be on stage at once? If it is never more than 8, you can get away with a Zoom F8n. Otherwise, I guess get yourself a Zoom LiveTrak L12, but personally I'd be biased towards using an F8n)