List of Techniscope Cameras

Owen A. Davies

• Premium Member

From my understanding there is only one purposely made techniscope camera, that's the Penelope. 

All the other one's are converted 4 perf cameras like the Mitchel's and 2C's, which were the most common during the heyday of techniscope. Mitchel BNC"s for the sound scenes and 2C's for everything else. Of course Panavision converted some cameras as well over the years, but most people used Panavision due to their anamorphic lens selection, so 4 perf was king. 

Andree Martin who was with Clairmont camera at the time, did convert a bunch of BL's and 435's, but again they were never made that way from the factory. 

Arri did make 2 perf and 3 perf movements for some later gen moviecam's, arricam's and 235's, but again, they were never sold as 2 perf cameras. 

• Upvote 1

• Premium Member

The Wikipedia page on Techniscope is a pretty good summary of the the history of 2 perf:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Techniscope

The original cameras were Arri 2Bs or 2Cs, Eclair CM3s (Cameflexes) and the odd Mitchell. Because it was a low budget format, I think more often an Arri was put in a blimp for sync sound rather than using a Mitchell. Panavision had some Pan-Arri 2 perf 2Cs, which were essentially 2 perf 2Cs with a PV mount. 

The original format died out in the mid 70s when Technicolor stopped doing dye transfer prints, but was resurrected here in Australia in the late 1990s when local camera engineer Bruce McNaughton (Aranda) began converting newer (sync sound) cameras like Arri 35BLs and Moviecam Super Americas. An Australian company named Multivision began renting out those 2 perf cameras with considerable success (I think the new DI process helped make the format easier to use) and within a few years Arri and Panavision had begun making 2 perf movements for some of their cameras. The first production 2 perf camera (rather than a conversion) was Aaton’s Penelope in 2007. 

Bruce converted a stack of cameras to 2 perf - Moviecams, Arris, Eclairs, Mitchells, Russian cams - many of the ones floating around now that aren’t the original 60s conversions or the newer factory movements (235s or Arricams) were probably done by him. 

• Upvote 1

• Premium Member

Here's my recently converted Arriflex 2C to the original N35 2perf format which is Techniscope.Conversion by Daniil Nevsky. I'll post some footage next week.

IMG_3221.JPG

Edited by Uli Meyer
  • Like 3

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, Mark Dunn said:

I can't wait to see 'Scope ratio home movies in 35mm.

Yeah, me too. I did just shoot a short film in scope ratio, but that was done 3perf. It has animation in it so it’ll take a while to finish but it’s not just about home movies. ?

51977AFD-36FA-4009-802D-D6F7E160AA45.jpeg

• Like 2

@Dom Jaeger @Uli Meyer @Tyler Purcell I really appreciate the info and will keep my eye out for converted 4-perf cameras as opposed to originally made Techniscope ones. I'd also like to ask whether or not you know of any Techniscope converted cameras with either a Mitchell Standard, Mitchell BNC, or Bell & Howell Eyemo mount that are currently in circulation? Thanks for your help. 

Edited by Owen A. Davies

• Premium Member
On 10/11/2022 at 9:54 AM, Owen A. Davies said:

I really appreciate the info and will keep my eye out for converted 4-perf cameras as opposed to originally made Techniscope ones.

Anything that says 2 perf is all ya need. There are always some on the Facebook groups for camera assistants and Arri. 

Nobody made 2 perf Eyemo's, the first one I'm aware of was made recently for my friend, it's a 100% one off camera. 

Edited by Tyler Purcell

• 8 months later...