Any way to get larger lenses on a sr3 like the 416 without buying a 416?

Edith blazek

Hi, I see that the arri made the 416 as an upgrade to the sr3 specifically so the 416 could accommodate larger lenses without hitting the viewfinder. The problem is the pricing difference between the two cameras is crazy, the 416 being nearly 4x the price used while on average only garnering 2x the price in rentals, I would without hesitation go for the sr3 but the problem is I frequently use larger lenses so if anyone has come up with a solution to use larger lenses like on the 416 but on the sr3 please tell me.

There are certain lenses like the Master Primes that are just impossible to fit on the SR3 (it’s partially why they developed the 416). Use the Ultra16s instead if you can. But many others will fit if you move the viewfinder, like most Ultra Primes and S4s (although I’m not sure if someone has tried S4/is). CP.2s also fit.

I just made a post about Sigma Cine Primes on an SR3. Doesn’t seem like anyone has tried that combo yet, so I might just rent and see. What lenses are you wanting to use on an SR3?

416 prices are insane right now, but I doubt they’ll ever come close to SR3 prices. I’d definitely recommend an SR3 for that reason. Although I stick with Arri, you may want to consider an Aaton XTR Plus/Prod since they can take just about any lenses. The Prods tend to go for more than SR3s right now (even though they’re equivalent) because they don’t go up for sale nearly as often, but they also rent out well like the SR3s if that’s a concern for you.

1 hour ago, Tyler Purcell said:

What barrel size are you having difficulty with? 

I'm pretty sure all the 16mm format lenses fit. 

The lenses I'd use would be lenses with fat barrels like the panchro/i classics, tribe7 blackwing7s, and master primes for example

Edited by Edith blazek

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Edith blazek said:

The lenses I'd use would be lenses with fat barrels like the panchro/i classics, tribe7 blackwing7s, and master primes for example

Ohh got ya, yea you'd have to figure out the barrel size.

Dom may know off the top of his head. 

As I said, there is no way to get Master Primes to fit. See this thread. 

Original Panchros fit I believe; I don’t know about the rehoused ones. I will say though, the wide angle Panchros are not going to look great on super-16.

If the barrel size is closer to the Master Primes, they won’t fit. If they are closer to the Ultra Primes, they’ll likely fit.

Edited by Raymond Zrike