Second Hand Tripod/Head Suggestions

Ryan Ivy

I have been splitting hairs and comparing tripods and heads for what seems like twelveteen dog years and I still have no idea where I should end up. Please have mercy on my soul and release me from the grueling task of having to compare tripods/heads with your experiences.

I do not have a video store anywhere near me and unfortunately I can’t just go and test them all and see what I like. I am trying to invest what little funds I do have into a tripod/head that will serve me for years. Mostly documentary work and commercial stuff right now. I have heard great things about the flowtech and would be willing to drop some coin on used equipment. I would obviously like to go as little as I can, but realistically I can’t go much beyond $3k. Are there older heads, or timeless tripods out there that hold their value and still stand up to the test of time? I currently run a Sony F5 and will upgrade at some point to something meaner but am hoping to get some more time out of the body and invest in some proper sticks. 

Any advice, problem brands and models that I should avoid? Any recommendations would be deeply appreciated. Thanks!

Cartoni focus 12 is 2800$ with sticks. 26lb load.

Manfrotto 526 is the same price but head is good up to 33lbs.  These are much better heads than the usual Manfrotto stuff, but will get no love from anyone  ; )

• 3 weeks later...