Direct to Disk recording?

Kristoffer Newsom

hey all, I've heard people mention that the HVX200 has a USB2 port, but I read on the panasoninc website that it has a FW port. ...does this mean it'll be possible to capture directly to disk while shooting? I think the data rate may be a bit too high with some configurations, but with say, 720P, 24fps, would this be possible?

cheers,

Kris

A Firestore is being developed for the HVX and will be released +/- March 2006. What's really cool is that it will be capable of writing the actual DVCPRO50/HD codecs to the drive. It writes via firewire and has a 100GB capacity, so thats about 100 minutes of HD recording (?). They say it will be sold for "under $2000", so $1999 :) .

Here's the press release.

On a side note, I think that the FW ports on cameras need to have some kind of secure plug (like BNC style) that would prevent the plug from being yanked out when the cam is hooked up to a Firestore or something important like that. Those ports and plugs get worn over time, especially those tiny 4 pin FW cables.

• Premium Member

Hi,

> What's really cool is that it will be capable of writing the actual DVCPRO50/HD codecs to the drive

That's not cool, that's the only choice it has as a firewire device.

What would really be cool would be for it to have a 30-pin connector on it somewhere marked "RAW", but I don't think we're likely to see that...

Phil

That's not cool, that's the only choice it has as a firewire device.

What would really be cool would be for it to have a 30-pin connector on it somewhere marked "RAW", but I don't think we're likely to see that...

Phil

Get the XL H1 if you want uncompressed output (that you aren't going to have the storage or power with which to deal with the footage).

Get the XL H1 if you want uncompressed output (that you aren't going to have the storage or power with which to deal with the footage).

Exactly. For most of the shooting I do, shooting uncompressed with the required external gear is usually either impractical or out-of-budget. Compared to HDV's horrible compression, writing DVCPRO50/HD to disk is worlds better.

I've also heard that some company is making a DTE unit for the XLH1 that takes advantage of the SDI port, which could change things...