How to achieve this look

Hello! I'm shooting my first shot and I want to achieve a look similar to the photos. The room Ilm shooting in has 2 windows, one facing the camera and another one that we never see (I think I will black this one out). We will be shooting during the day but the sun never hits the windows diectly. The camera is bmpcc 6k and mkll lenses. I will have some haze for sure and some thin white curtains on the window (I would prefer if we cant see ouside, and its just white). My plan was to keed natural light as ambience and put something like aputure nova or a 600d outside the window and big diffuser and then use something like a flexible led to add light for the closeups. Is this going to work? We are on a budget (obviously) so I cant afford really expensive sources. Thank you in advance ?

https://app.milanote.com/1OKskl1P8Zew69?p=LkIM23YOi8M (the references)

41 minutes ago, Giray Izcan said:

I would stick with traditional units as opposed to led for more punch and better color reproduction. It will be cheaper to rent too. 

What king of traditional light units do you mean? Tungsten? If so, how would the setup look like? for the close ups? I have never worked with these kind of lights as they scare me for some reason because I feel it's harder to pull of a softer look. Thank you

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, Giray Izcan said:

I would stick with traditional units as opposed to led for more punch and better color reproduction. It will be cheaper to rent too. 

I've shot dozens of commercials with tungsten, hmi, and led on sony sensors. And I've not seen anything to suggest modern led has issues with color. What information do you pull from? I'd love to read it.

9 hours ago, Dimitra Petmeza said:

What king of traditional light units do you mean? Tungsten? If so, how would the setup look like? for the close ups? I have never worked with these kind of lights as they scare me for some reason because I feel it's harder to pull of a softer look. Thank you

LED is quite fine. For small-to-mid size productions, they are seriously replacing smaller HMI units as their wattage increases. For example, a 1200w HMI par goes for under $2k on ebay right now, which is is nuts! And that's with inflation!

A nova panel outside won't do very much, honestly. A 1200w led hard light will however push very well as a "sun." A combo stand is safer than a standard light stand outside, FYI. It's mass makes it sturdy.

Indoors, I've used one panel light, like a nova, to bounce into walls or white cards to wrap the face. They are 180 degree fixtures, so they can be close to walls and still fill a large area, compared to the COB versions. If you have the budget and an extra hand, then a couple ultraflops are fast white surfaces indoors.

Cheers Dimitra, and have fun with it!