My first time shooting a project on 16mm

Hey people,

In two weeks im shooting my first passion project on 16mm. Really exciting but scary at the same time as im dealing with some difficult lighting situations and I need some help.

So on the day I have a spotlight coming from top pointing straight down on the actor. (see reference pics from my test attached) My plan was to measure the shadows with my light meter but im scared the highlights will be too blown out cause there is that big of a difference in exposure. What would you do in this situation?

I've heard some people take their digital camera with them to measure the exposure as well. Is that something I could do in this situation?

Thanks for understanding i'm really keen to learn more about film.

Noah

Screenshot 2022-10-24 at 22.29.11.jpg

Edited by Noah Kingmans
Made a mistake in the text

• Site Sponsor

That will expose well on film I would use a spot meter and try to get the actors skintone in the middle and let the hilites go as film really handles that well.

Don't be afraid of the medium it is very forgiving if you get basic exposure right.

What stock are you shooting on? 500T?

8 hours ago, Robert Houllahan said:

That will expose well on film I would use a spot meter and try to get the actors skintone in the middle and let the hilites go as film really handles that well.

Don't be afraid of the medium it is very forgiving if you get basic exposure right.

What stock are you shooting on? 500T?

Thanks so much and happy to hear this would work great on film ?

Shooting on 250D cause it's the only thing available at the moment where I live. I do plan to lift the shadows a bit with a big butterfly to get contrast right and don't underexpose the 250. 

7 hours ago, Karim D. Ghantous said:

The only thing I might add to Robert's comment is that your light should be as high up as possible.

Vision3 can handle at least 5 stops of overexposure.

Rigging the light 6 meters up so that should be fine! Thanks Karim