Name the flare

Is there a specific name for flares that appear on the sides of the image,
This happens when lights are just out of frame. This happens more with wide lenses or at high lens speeds.
Let me know if you have special knowledge or you can point to an article that describes this specific phenomena.
Thank you!

flare.png

On a film camera (like your example) this is a reflection off of the side of the film gate, which is usually a shiny metal.  I've simply heard it called gate flare, but there could be some more official name that I don't know of.

Interestingly, I've seen similar flares on mirrorless digital cameras from low-quality lens adapters that lack proper internal light traps or flocking.  If there's not a broader name for it, perhaps we need one?  Mechanical flaring, perhaps?

• Like 1

In you example, the flare lasts about 2 seconds. I think it was a creative choice by Kubrick- if he hadn't liked it in the rushes he would certainly have re-shot or used a different take. He would have known, or Alcott would have told him, that lights so close to the frame edge would probably flare. He wouldn't just accept that it was unavoidable- he'd spend thousands on a detail like that.

Edited by Mark Dunn
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Daniel Klockenkemper said:

On a film camera (like your example) this is a reflection off of the side of the film gate, which is usually a shiny metal.  I've simply heard it called gate flare, but there could be some more official name that I don't know of.

Interestingly, I've seen similar flares on mirrorless digital cameras from low-quality lens adapters that lack proper internal light traps or flocking.  If there's not a broader name for it, perhaps we need one?  Mechanical flaring, perhaps?

Thank you… I am pretty sure it isn't the gate  as I see it with my digital cams and especially zoom lenses, too. Was just wondering if there is a specific name.