The Arriflex Image

Uli Meyer

I saw Logmar pulled their pages for the s8 and s16 cameras. honestly too bad, despite their costs. Im guessing if any new film cameras get made they'll be at panavision and rental only at this point.

that being said there have been some rumors that kodak may finally produce that s8 camera. not sure how good an idea that would be but it'd be something

I wonder if computer-guided milling machines might get better and better, to the point where spare parts for these old Arris could be remade at the correct tolerances and at an affordable price. The mirrors could be a problem. Still, perhaps there is a solution to this problem too. I suspect that film will survive for the foreseeable future.

Edited by Jon O'Brien

Not to say what they're doing isn't highly skilful.

But, in terms of making a camera... to state the obvious - a digital camera is far more finicky and takes a lot more expensive machinery to fabricate. I'm not exactly saying anything revolutionary here... try to make a MOSFET gate that's half a micron big and you'll get the gist. 

I believe the correct answer is that building a film camera wouldn't be profitable.

Which we all know and accept. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

In the dim and distant future, if what we call civilization continues its stately course through history a while longer ... and when all the Arris and Aatons and so on are long worn out ... those who want to shoot film might have to go back to wooden boxes with individually 'hand-crafted' (on a metal-working lathe) cogs and wheels and associated mechanism. Just like filmmakers did at the dawn of the age of cinema.

Okay, so the registration mightn't be so crash hot. But those old cameras worked pretty well. They got the job done.

I like a tiny bit of gate weave.

Edited by Jon O'Brien