Short horror film shot in three hours for a competition

Vital Butinar

Hi guys.

A couple of weeks ago I stumbled onto a youtube video for a short film contest and since I have been working on commercial videos for the major part of the year, I've been hoping for an opportunity to do as many narrative projects as possible, just to have some fun.

I literally had no idea what to do and consulted a friend of mine, who's a screenwriter and he literally had an idea half an hour that we loved and could get shooting the same day.

So my girlfriend and I decided to shoot the same evening and got everything ready and since it was only the two of us, we needed to figure out a way how to shoot and perform in it at the same time.
We also needed to wrangle our cat Misty to perform and he did a really great job, also got a bunch of treats in the process.

Everything was shot in about three hours, including a short ride to the river near our home that had a rocky surface.

I'm actually really happy with this one, because it was simple enough to shoot in a short time and got a nice result in the end.

The only thing that bothers me a little is that we didn't pay enough attention to the small LED that I held in my hand, like it was a cell phone and in a couple of shots the LEDs can be seen. I would have loved to use shots where this wasn't visible but we didn't have them, so they just stayed in. 

We wanted to shoot in as little time as possible so that we had enough time for postproduction.

What do you guys think? What else could have we done to get any better shots or have done anything better in the time span and changed anything. 

Thanks for taking the time. 

• 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Joerg Polzfusz said:

Funny idea, great realization.  I like it. And if you wouldn’t have mentioned the LEDs, I would not have noticed. 

Thank you very much.

We enjoyed making it because after a long time it was a fun project of our own that we could do our way. 

You know how it is, there's always stuff in retrospect that you wish you could have done differently. ?