Bell & Howell Electric Motor for 70-H 16mm Movie Camera

robert louis

Does anyone know exactly where you are suppose to oil the motor? The manual is not direct and it's not easy to know which oil cup holes to go into since there's no pictures or diagram to see where . It says to place two drops in the two oil cups located over each of the two main motor bearings ( like a novice is even going to know what they look like). Well there's a lot of holes on the housing of this motor. Anyone? Also, does anyone know where to get new brushes for this motor. Thanks.

Simon, thanks for the reply. I attached some shots of the motor and the section talking about it in the manual. It has to be done somewhere as far as their concerned as you read it. The bearing of the motor is encase in grease but that has nothing to do with lubing them, maintenance-wise. In the attached pics I show you where I oiled them hoping it was right. I see a shaft with a type of fly wheel where I dropped the oil. This area seemed to be the only one under those holes that looked like it would take oil, all the other holes had wires and wire wrappings,etc. I inspected the brushes and they are fine, about 10/16" long. This motor was not really used a lot. I got it in 1976, used it a little, then again in 1999, a little bit more, and that's it. Was in storage for way more time than used so it needs nursing, that's why I want to know the right oil holes. Take a look at the pics and tell me what you think. Thanks. Rob

DSC_0002.JPG

• Premium Member

Motor seems to be younger than manual. See whether you find an impressum. Show us

Motor has no oil cups. Sorry, you did something not good. Those round openings are air inlets. When motor heats up warm air from inside can escape at the inching knob end.

Yeah Simon. After reading the last section, I think I oiled the commutator because they state to oil this in one of the 4 holes (which from my pics there's 2 on each side and you can see the commutator from any one of these. As you turn the knob on top of the motor you see it spin. I'm gonna clean that today. I don't think any damage was done. I really didn't put much. Anyway I think it should be oiled somewhere cause that's the manual for the 70-H camera but beats the hell out of me so I'll forget about it. It's not going to be used at all. It's just a keepsake. Thanks for the replies.

• 1 month later...
13 hours ago, Philip Forrest said:

Doesn't this motor have a viscous clutch? Would that be what is oiled?

I have no idea Philip. The manual in the first picture above states there's 2 oil cups located over each of the 2 main motor bearings. I wish they put a picture and showed where they are. In the second picture I believe that's where they would be. You have the silver metal shaft that goes into the wind crank hole in the camera to drive the camera. That shaft has to go down to the bearings so I oiled the shaft in the joint area. The last picture showing that round disc with screws I would think has the grease packed around the reduction bearing they mention in the last paragraph. I was going to open that up and see what's there but I don't want to disturb anything without an expert telling me what to do exactly. I know the bearings have to be in there. It runs fine so I'll wait until I hear abnormal noises. B&H is very vague with certain things and I found that they don't always are exact in their manuals. You never know, this motor might not have to be oiled. They made a lot of different models and then write a section in the manual that might pertain to a couple of them but not all of them. Anyway, thanks for the reply. Let me know what you think on my observations. RL