Retroscan / Moviestuff offers 4K upgrade for certain models

Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

Moviestuff%20Retroscan%204K.jpg

All Photos: Internet - Fair Use

...no upgrade for the Retroscan Universal 2K model, 4K just fits the newer models. Other upgrades are also offered.

moviestuff_home_page

4K_main_header.jpg

If they ever put an optical sound reader on the 4K Retroscan, maybe they will have something! As the newer 4K models become widespread, there may be an opportunity for the low budget archivist to pick up the less desirable, lower res 2K Universal Retroscan scanner on the cheap. 

Edited by Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

• 2 weeks later...

A reel-to-reel fulltrack playback head connected to a magnetic amp input yields a satisfactory result with sprocketed magnetic film, not an ideal result for post-production but okay for playbacks.

I doubt you can buy them as a trade part these days. I used one to build a home-made editor driven by a GM windscreen wiper motor. 

If the Restroscan transport could be stabilised by adding an inertia wheel in the path, a fulltrack playback head would probably work fine. It probably would not be too hard a task to add a record/playback head for sound-on-film so long as the correct pins are connected or you might erase your sound track. 

A module which attached to the existing fixing for the two film guides would not be too hard to build. My original playback head for the home-made editor was mounted on a door hinge for the convenience of swinging it aside from the film path. Agfa sound film is thinner and possible a little more fragile as far as edge guides are concerned. 

Edited by Robert Hart
error
  • Upvote 1