CineAssist users?

Joerg Polzfusz

Hi!

Are there any CineAssist-users here? I just want to share some test results:

Nizo 4056: CineAssist works perfectly out of the box, but the „film out“ is very slow as it requires a „frame rate“ of 1 frame every 2 seconds.

Fujica 2 (modified by Mateo Bauza):  CineAssist works fine, but is limited as the camera doesn’t have a single frame exposure/advance.

Fujica ZC1000: CineAssist is only working when using an additional cable in between that changes the polarity. (Side note: The Nizo 4056 is working with and without this cable. So it’s a „design problem“ of the camera.) Major drawback: The ZC1000 doesn’t allow single frame exposure/advance via the „electrical remote cable“. So you cannot use the „film out“ and other options. (Whether this can be bypassed by somehow plugging the CineAssist into the connector that is used by the camera‘s pistol grip, hasn’t been tested yet.)

Fujica Z800 (and most likely all other Z-models): The CineAssist needs the same „change polarity cable“ as the ZC1000. And the single frame mode is also only available via the mechanical remote (cable release) and not via the electrical remote that the CineAssist is using.

I am a user of Cine Assist, being the one that actually created it, i have used it a lot during development and testing and for a few of my film projects too.

I have had perfect results using my Nizo Integral 10, my Nizo 156 macro and my Yashica Electro 8. Also the Leicinas (I own a Super RT 1 and I borrowed a Special) work fine, but for them I use Lee instead now, as Cine Assist Classic cannot use several features that only the Leicinas have.

I could also use my Zeiss Movieflex and my Eumig Mini 5 (that only have cable releases instead of electrical ones) with an adapter I built to mechanically control them. This never went into "mass" production, but a similar idea now successfully controlling a Bolex H16 is actually out there, currently in use by a filmmaker friend of mine, I am looking forward to see her results!

Some years ago I was sending out "testers" for free, small devices potential future customers could connect to their cameras to basically see "what happens" to find out how well Cine Assist would work on their specifc models (as I obviously cannot check how it performs on every single camera ever made). I thought it was a great idea, however I just kept sending away free stuff and never ever got any feedback. I was forced to stop this after some time.

On 11/25/2022 at 12:52 PM, Joerg Polzfusz said:

Fujica ZC1000: CineAssist is only working when using an additional cable in between that changes the polarity. (Side note: The Nizo 4056 is working with and without this cable. So it’s a „design problem“ of the camera.) Major drawback: The ZC1000 doesn’t allow single frame exposure/advance via the „electrical remote cable“

Hmm, the ZC1000 user manual I found online suggests that this should actually be possible electrically as well, see the picture.

um.png

ZC1000: I don’t have the camera’s original electrical remote release. But all the ones that I own (including the CineAssist) only work in „normal operation“ and not in „single frame mode“. This is strange as Fujica‘s „time lapse control“ is connecting to the electrical remote socket, too. I wonder whether there’s a problem with my camera or whether there’s a special „trick“ needed (like a 5V impulse or something).

9D35E02A-0499-4DDE-A174-5D91725DAB8D.jpeg

Edited by Joerg Polzfusz

• 1 month later...

Hi everybody!

I just did another test with my Fujica ZC1000 and the classic CineAssist. The camera still needs the special cable, but today it is suddenly also working fine in single frame mode and with the CineAssist set to „time lapse, 10 frames at 1 fps“?! Yes, the camera’s suddenly clicking ten times! That’s completely bizarre! I hope that my self-made cable doesn’t have a loose contact anywhere?! Or are the new, fresh batteries in the camera causing the difference? (Today, I tested with only four batteries (main compartment above the viewfinder) and with all eight batteries - the camera is clicking ten times in both cases.)