Anamorphics designed for smartphones, drones, …used on other cameras?

Hi!

When browsing through eBay, Amazon, Wish, …, you’ll easily stumble across very, very cheap, new Chinese anamorphics that are supposed to be mounted onto smartphones. I bought two of them for 30-40€ each (including shipping) - one with a factor of 1.33x and another one with a factor of 1.55x. They are working fine on my iPhone 7, especially in combination with FilmicPro. But when I tried to mount them onto other cameras, e.g. Fujica P2, I noticed that they cannot be used as they are causing vignetting. Anyone succeeded in using any of these cheap optics on something else than a smartphone, e.g. by removing the plastic on their rear?

I noticed that there are also cheap anamorphics for some drones or some „GoPro“-cameras. Would they be larger and hence large enough for another camera?

Edited by Joerg Polzfusz

• 1 month later...

I don't think you will have much luck. They're usually not designed to cover anything larger than a 1/3" sensor. You might be able to make one work with a long lens (85mm or more) from an old rangefinder stills camera as they often have a filter thread diameter of around 40mm. There are anamorphic attachments for smartphones with a 35mm rear thread if you manage to find all of the above along with a filter thread adapter that steps down to 35mm you might pull it off but the end result probably isn't worth all the effort. You're better off adapting a cheap anamorphic projector lens to a 50mm (s35/aps-c) or 85mm (full frame) the adapters are readily available