You guys, gals and zirs want the fake digital film grain look...here is how to do it.

Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

social-documentary-copyright-daniel-d-te

I'm not a big practitioner of applied digital grain. But every once in a while, I use it. Maybe things have changed with the fake grain, but this is the formula I had settled on a few years ago. I'm not up to date with the new AI software options, so maybe other options now. 

If you know you will be trying digital grain then you plan that in your shoot. A lot of the old, grainy film photography was not that sharp. This is the issue with digital. Too sharp and too much midtones or dynamic range. Shoot wide open for low depth of field. Normal or short tele lens. Don't use a wide angle. Make it contrasty with less midtones. Have some areas burned out. Try out different digital grain formulas. They make a big difference. Do your testing to settle on what you like.

Fake grain is not organic like real film grain, so it applies an even amount of grain all over. This is the issue with fake grain...nonorganic. If you burn areas out, then there is no / lower fake grain there. But that may not be possible with cine' software. With still software you can do it with contrast grading tools.

Sometimes you can achieve the film look with a wide angle, but it is harder. Here is an example of how not to shoot. Wide angle, lots of depth of field and the dreaded plasticky, digital look.

campsite-jersey-city-2016-daniel-d-teoli

Jersey City Campsite

Here is another example of applied digital grain for the film look...

Steeplechase2006DanielD.TeoliJr..jpg

All photos: D.D. Teoli Jr.

Click on photos to magnify views

Edited by Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

• Daniel D. Teoli Jr. changed the title to You guys, gals and zirs want the fake digital film grain look...here is how to do it.