Does anyone know what lenses were used on the golf le fleur globetrotter ad?

Edith blazek

Does anyone know what lenses were used for this golf le fleur ad? I'm asking I remember the dps insta saying it was Cooke anamorphic on a 416 but that post isn't there so if anyone could confirm or correct me please do so.

Edited by Edith blazek
To unembed

23 hours ago, Edith blazek said:

Does anyone know what lenses were used for this golf le fleur ad? I'm asking I remember the dps insta saying it was Cooke anamorphic on a 416 but that post isn't there so if anyone could confirm or correct me please do so.

Bump

Edited by Edith blazek

29 minutes ago, Joerg Polzfusz said:

Why do you want to know this at all? The look is more than just some lenses.

It's just I remember there being an Instagram post from the dp Luiz Perez saying it was shot on Cooke anamorphic lenses with super 16mm film, and I just never heard of someone using 2x anamorphic lenses with super 16 and I thought the effect was great as it really did have a classic feeling I feel lacking in modern 35mm anamorphic projects, of course I know there's more than the lens used, I just found it interesting. Now that post isn't there and I didn't know if I misremembered so I was asking if anyone could confirm or correct.

Edited by Edith blazek
  • Like 1

2x on super 16mm seems like a waste of negative real estate, but the ad looks nice. I like that saturation of color. 

1.5 X would allow you to crop very little and still give you a lot of that scope-y goodness. 

They did manage to keep the grain to a minimum, almost removing the 16mm look in most shots.

1 hour ago, Phillip Mosness said:

2x on super 16mm seems like a waste of negative real estate, but the ad looks nice. I like that saturation of color. 

1.5 X would allow you to crop very little and still give you a lot of that scope-y goodness. 

They did manage to keep the grain to a minimum, almost removing the 16mm look in most shots.

Well that's the thing and reason I'm asking as I don't know if I'm misremembering the dp saying this is 35mm or 16mm as to me, it feels like a it's either specially handled 35mm anamorphic so as to still look filmic or just 16mm anamorphic, I remember the now gone insta post having Cooke anamorphic as a hashtag so its either or as I know Tyler and luis love shooting film and pretty much have since igor, I just wanted to know if anyone here also saw that Instagram post or if I'm misremembering.

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, Edith blazek said:

specially handled 35mm anamorphic so as to still look filmic

Forgive me but this is an odd thing to say. 35mm film looks intrinsically filmic. "Special handling" would be the case if it didn't.

The grain seems to have been removed from the footage, making it look distinctly less filmic.

Edited by Uli Meyer
Addition

35 minutes ago, Uli Meyer said:

Forgive me but this is an odd thing to say. 35mm film looks intrinsically filmic. "Special handling" would be the case if it didn't.

The grain seems to have been removed from the footage, making it look distinctly less filmic.

Sorry, I guess I should've said carefully handled, it's just so many 35mm projects I've seen nowadays look indistinguishable from an Arri Alexa to me.

Yeah I think the grain was removed for some scenes, like the bedroom scene, but the swiss bank and Dominican republic car chase scenes still have grain, especially if the video is selected to 1080p as YouTube compression will kill grain in lower resolution setting options. But even then it still looks filmic and to me, that's the magic of 16mm, being able to still register as being film, even when manipulated.