Changing aperture while changing N.D. filter strength

Good day everyone, I hope you're all doing well!

I wonder if this method has been tried: while changing the aperture mid-shot, the strength of the N.D. filter is also being changed the same amount. I haven't tested this out myself, but theoretically in doing so, the result would yield in an in-camera effect of changing depth of field.

Thanks!

• Premium Member

Yes, that stuff's all great, but you you end up with some absurd minimum density of the setup, so you more or less need to light everything to f/11 to begin with if you want to still end up with a vaguely worthwhile stop.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I wonder why I had not thought of this before, but I wonder how Cinefade would work alongside a dolly zoom? The former effect might not even be very noticeable because the dynamic dollying and zooming are usually just overwhelmingly felt more than the oculomotor aperture change, however it may be worth looking at. 

Edited by Joshua Robert Dy
I am so sorry for not doing enough research before posting comments there was quite literally a dolly zoom on the cinefade showreel again I apologize very much

Cinefade and “depth of field racks” have been used quite extensively for the past years on Spanish football (soccer for US) TV coverage with a Sony Venice on a steadicam from the sidelines. 
It looks too funky for my taste but each to their own.