Can you run Windows based software with Linux?

Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

I was complaining about Windows forced updates and how they screwed up my computer to someone. He suggested I use Linux. Can you run Windows based software with Linux? When I went to Windows 11, some of my Epson scanning software didn't work right. Their fix was hit the Alt key. It works...half-ass. I'm thinking if the Windows software doesn't work right with Windows 11, how can it work with Linux?

What do you think about Linux? All my software is for Windows. I don't really know, but I think Linux is for people that write code and make their own programs. (But just guessing.)

<><><><>

glamour-photography-1957-d-d-teoli-jr-a-

Cover Glamour Photography - The great cross-country girl hunt 1957

DDTJRAC

Edited by Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

I pretty much only use Linux. For editing and grading I use Davinci Resolve. For scanning photos with my scanners, Vuescan. If I need some Windows software, in many cases Wine allows running it - and what's funny, one can often run with it older Windows software better than with a new version of Windows.

If you need Adobe software, using it with Wine might not work that well though. There are open source alternatives, but for InDesign I do use MacOS.

Linux isn't a ShangriLa, but for me it's the best option there is. If you know how to solve problems, then it allows doing things that aren't possible on Windows or MacOS. If you just need your software working and need some special software (not just office / browsing / games), you'll be happier on MacOS and Windows. Just try to enjoy forced software/hardware upgrades ?

• Premium Member

I have no idea how anyone can use Linux. I have to support ubuntu and Cent OS systems, it's WAY worse than any Windows system I've ever used. Most programs don't exist and if they do, there are many caveats to get them running. There are so many distro's, not every app will work with the one's other apps work with. So it can be challenging. If you enjoy not working and playing with computers and have a real system you use for work that isn't linux, then that's fine. Quite a few industry shops use Linux because they pay people like me to fix them and let me tell ya, they need to be fixed on a regular basis. It's really no different than windows in that way. The only major difference in terms of maintenance is that YOU can't fix it when it breaks. You've gotta basically re-install the OS because everyone who runs linux uses BIOS based restore functions. 

Windows is also a totally garbage operating system, but at least people write software for it. So even if it is total trash, at least it does serve a purpose. I personally would never use one as my main computer,  but if that's all ya got, that's all ya got. 

I'm a 100% Mac user myself. Have been for my entire life, even though my job entails supporting windows and linux systems. I tell ya, the entire methodology of how the system works, just makes sense in my brain. It's easy to get software to work well and there are no drivers or other ancillary libraries/plugins necessary to get MOST software to work. The other great thing about Mac OS is it's integrated cloud services. Once you kinda go in that direction, there is really no way you can move away from it. The security is also top notch, something both Linux and Windows struggle with.