New Film Stock?

Uli Meyer

• Premium Member

Could also be black and white, doesn't mention that, but does say WWI, so maybe it fits to be B&W. 

The fact it's a 15 day shoot says they clearly don't have much money. B&W would save them a considerable amount. 

Edited by Tyler Purcell

• Premium Member

I think this is good news and one should wait until it is out there before judging. You can only hope that it is a great looking, reliable stock and that there will be an affordable alternative on the market soon. You never know.

• Upvote 1

It has been suggested that the filmstock itself is manufactured in China. It was mentioned elsewhere that the pre-release stock sent out for stills photographers to test and appraise was installed into cassettes in China. 

It will be educational to learn the full and correct story. Meanwhile, I am waiting for a chance to try the new 16mm NC500 film in a CP16R camera I have that still works. 

Well, apparently Adox was in the process of doing a color film with someone that suddenly after the first batch became unavailable (which is why they are now doing it in house). Some have been guessing it was Inoviscoat. Inoviscoat on the other hand is now part of ORWO. Thus I wouldn't say it is impossible that this film is actually made in Europe like ORWO is saying. Not to mention that a mystery Chinese film maker making new color film would be much more unlikely explanation than Inoviscoat doing it. Making color film is really difficult and restarting production is not easy either. Inoviscoat has been doing that stuff all along.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Well "color" me tickled! 

I didn't know this day would come, but Orwo has released their 400 ISO Color motion picture stock! 

I just ordered 4 rolls! Looking forward to testing it. 

https://www.orwo.shop/en-us/collections/motion-picture-films

Edited by Tyler Purcell

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, David Sekanina said:

Not sure what you're trying to say Simon. Do you suspect the ORWO film is just manufactured by Kodak like Cinestill?

At the time people didn't know, this thread was made before the new film was released. Now we know it's not. Kodak does not make anything like this product. 

The stills samples they posted definitely have a look, almost like theres extra silver retention but with maybe more limited dynamic range than we're use to?

I ordered 2 rolls to test, should be interesting to see the results. Very curious how it'll look with the ultra 16s. 

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

Alright guys, got my shipping notification. It's coming from HOENSBROEK, LB which is in the Netherlands. They initially told me it was shipping from the US, but now the box is on the way with a tracking number coming from Europe. 

Netherlands was a shock to me. So are they doing finishing there? Very odd. 

• Like 1