Is there any possible way to make sound work shooting with an Arri 2c without the blimp?

Edith blazek

Hello, I'm thinking about getting a 35mm motion picture film camera to rent in my area as no one else is, but I don't want to spend that much on it as truth be told I'm not that passionate about the look nowadays as I am with super 16 because it lacks the texture I like in film but I otherwise I like the look of it in terms of lenses vs super 16 so in order to get a feel for it I thought of getting a 2c as for it's price on the market it rents out well and has so many accessories to customize but it's an mos camera, meaning it's loud and that would work against me but I really want it, so I ask, is there any way to make the 2c work with the dedicated blimp that makes it as big as an imax camera? Are there any parts I can get that's not the 2c blimp that I could use to shoot sync sound with this camera like say the georg jenson motor for the 16s allowed that to shoot sync sound or is it not that simple?

Edited by Edith blazek

• Edith blazek changed the title to Is there any possible way to make sound work shooting with an Arri 2c without the blimp?
36 minutes ago, Edith blazek said:

Hello, I'm thinking about getting a 35mm motion picture film camera to rent in my area as no one else is, but I don't want to spend that much on it as truth be told I'm not that passionate about the look nowadays as I am with super 16 because it lacks the texture I like in film but I otherwise I like the look of it in terms of lenses vs super 16 so in order to get a feel for it I thought of getting a 2c as for it's price on the market it rents out well and has so many accessories to customize but it's an mos camera, meaning it's loud and that would work against me but I really want it, so I ask, is there any way to make the 2c work with the dedicated blimp that makes it as big as an imax camera? Are there any parts I can get that's not the 2c blimp that I could use to shoot sync sound with this camera like say the georg jenson motor for the 16s allowed that to shoot sync sound or is it not that simple?

*Without the blimp

• Premium Member

I mean if your subject was far away and/or if you didn't care about hearing the camera, sure. 

I had to do a dialog scene with one of it's brothers, the Arri III not long ago. I totally spaced out and forgot to bring my sync sound camera with us. It was one shot, one angle, so I just shot it from a distance, and you couldn't hear the camera, but it was a 100mm lens. ?

I've got a IIC and yes it's certainly loud.  I had thought of making it a blimp.  One I made for the less noisy Bolex worked well. A  wooden case lined with carpet. The camera floating on soft rubber. 

Although Tyler's long-lens suggestion good, if that is made the style of the film.

• Premium Member

It would be much better if you could get some kind of older self blimped camera. I think the Arri35BL would be ideal if having pl mount. 

The 2c could be useful if it is 2perf camera, then an indie production could justify the pain of using the separate blimp with it. 

The external blimp is just not practical which is why people moved to self blimped cameras almost immediately when they became available. 

The 35BL is relative compact and lightweight so if having a possibility to get one for reasonable price it would be one of the best choices for the application I think

4 hours ago, aapo lettinen said:

The 2c could be useful if it is 2perf camera, then an indie production could justify the pain of using the separate blimp with it. 

I don't know, maybe the 2perf Arri 2c is less noisy anyway?  As it's kind of going half the speed.    And more attractive I'd think for renting out...

I've often wondered if it's worth getting mine converted.  Not sure of costs involved.

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, Doug Palmer said:

I don't know, maybe the 2perf Arri 2c is less noisy anyway?  As it's kind of going half the speed.    And more attractive I'd think for renting out...

The video above is of a 2 perf 2C. It's still crazy loud. It has a gear drive system, so it's impossible to make quiet without a blimp. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

in italy and hk they used to use 2c all the time, they shoot MOS, and eveything is dubed. NOw there is new software like vocalalign, you record a scratch track with one of these new little  32 bit float recorders or something similar scheme, and then in post you sync the ADR dialogue  via software, saves a ton of time. Remember if you are shooting MOS, you dont have to lock up the set, no need for big crew of PA's.

• Like 1