Laser Graphic Director 10K vs 13K

• Site Sponsor
3 hours ago, Karim D. Ghantous said:

Yes, but if you didn't have the option of using different light intensities, I wonder if multi-sampling could be a decent substitute.

Well to what purpose? on a monochrome sensor scanner? You could control the camera exposure time if you cannot control the lamp but why bother when precision PWM LED lamp control is a trivial thing to do these days?

21 hours ago, Robert Houllahan said:

Well to what purpose? on a monochrome sensor scanner? You could control the camera exposure time if you cannot control the lamp but why bother when precision PWM LED lamp control is a trivial thing to do these days?

You have a point here. My question is more hypothetical. Remember, too, that long exposures don't eliminate shot noise (as far as I understand the concept).

• Site Sponsor
42 minutes ago, Karim D. Ghantous said:

You have a point here. My question is more hypothetical. Remember, too, that long exposures don't eliminate shot noise (as far as I understand the concept).

longer exposures will actually show more of the inherent fixed pattern noise present in the shadow area of the sensor.

Allot of the reason for "HDR" multi flash is to work to overcome the sensor noise flaws by pushing a "hot" second exposure to get the densest part of the negative into a better response portion of the sensors dynamic range and by doing so keeping the FPN out of the visible scan.

This can get more DR from the shot film especially if it is overexposed but mostly the HDR process cleans up noise from the sensor.